AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have four cable TVs and three cable modems, what amplifier would you recommend I use, which of these choices is best:

1.) 1 Electroline EDA-FT08300 8-port Drop Amplifier that would take care of the seven connections and the remaining port (1) terminated by a 75-ohm terminator.

2.) 1 Viewsonics VSMA-608C-10R 8-port Drop Amplifier that would take care of the seven connections and the remaining port (1) terminated by a 75-ohm terminator.

3.) 1 Viewsonics VSMA-604C 4-port Drop Amplifier that would take care of the four cable TV connections and 1 Viewsonics VSMA-604C-10R 4-port Drop Amplifier that would take care of the three cable modem connections and the remaining port (1) terminated with a 75-ohm terminator.

or

4.) 1 Viewsonics VSMA-604C 4-port Drop Amplifier that would take care of the four cable TV connections and 1 Viewsonics VSMA-608C-10R 8-port Drop Amplifier that would take care of the three cable modem connections and the remaining ports (5) terminated with 75-ohm terminators.

I'm confused which drop amp to use since some guide says that too much amplification on the "return path" would cause problems. The Viewsonics VSMA-604C-10R provides a +3 dB return path gain which might "overload" the return path signal. This makes me worried about config #3.

Then again, I read in some guide that it would be better to not have both TV connections and cable modem connections in one amplifier which makes me worry about configs #1 and #2 and makes me lean toward config #4 as the best configuration for my application.

Can you provide me these specs for the EDA-FT08300:

Noise Figure

Maximum Return Path Input

Maximum Return Path Output

Return Path Second Order Distortion

Return Path Third Order Distortion

What is its difference in comparison with the old EDA-FT08100?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I have an Electroline EDA-some number, that I'm happy with except that the external wall-wart power supply failed. Had to open it up and replace the big capacitor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm curious as to why there are 3 cable modems. It's usually best to have 1 cable modem and use a wired/wireless router to connect the other computers to the same network. At any rate, cable modems shouldn't go through a drop amp according to a buddy of mine that works at COX. They should be wired up through a splitter and then have the drop amp be used for your tvs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts