AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i currently have a hsu vtf-15h sub. it sounds fantastic, but when i really want to crank it up my drop ceiling is vibrating. i dont think the tiles are vibrating, i think its the frame. but last night i put 2ft 2x4's on each of the tiles to weigh down the frame. but i am still getting vibrations. since the tiles are the cheap 1/2 inch fiberglass could they be the ones vibrating? or can i use some rubber cement on the ends where the frame meets the parimeter? also dont they make clips for the tiles?

·
Registered
344 Posts
You can make a DIY bass isolator with the foam the HSU came in...run a search for DIY subdude or DIY bass isolator here at AVS or google it...VERY easy to make.

The isoaltor will help with the rattles and will make the bass sound better by tightening it up!

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you have vinyl faced ceiling tiles then it is very likely that the facing is loose & it will rattle. You most likely have these if they are fibreglass backed. They usually de-lam around the edges first. You can get hold down clips if you think the tiles are loose. These snap over the mains & cross tees of your grid system. They have 'ears' or 'legs' that press down on the tiles. And they may force the edges down into the grid enough to keep the rattle down. You can occasionally find a mineral fiber, aka 'normal' type tiles sold under the 'materials' sub-group on Craigslist. Good luck.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Another thing to do is make sure the hanger wires that suspend your ceiling are not loose where they loop around the grid. You can unwind & re-tie them or simply take some pliers & SLIGHTLY put a bend in the wire WHERE THE LOOP IS WRAPPED. If you do this directly to the single drop of the wire then it can & most likely will sraighten out again & cause the same problem. When done to the wrapped area of wire that is closest to the grid, the likelihood that the weight of your ceiling will pull the bend out is minimal. Be carefull to bend just enough to take the slack out of the wire & not make your ceiling look like a roller coaster.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
do you think the bass isolator will help? the hsu does sit on carpet. look at the youtube video below

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just don't see that helping. I guess it can't hurt to try. Can I build pretty much the same thing as subdude? It looks like there ain't much to it.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdpw /forum/post/20821536

I just don't see that helping. I guess it can't hurt to try. Can I build pretty much the same thing as subdude? It looks like there ain't much to it.

Fantastic looking setup. How far are your mains away from the wall?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've heard of people putting little zip lock bags of sand on top of the tiles to weigh them down a little .

·
Registered
838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdpw /forum/post/0

do you think the bass isolator will help? the hsu does sit on carpet. look at the youtube video below

Is your sub on a carpet over wood floor or on concrete? If it is on concrete this will do very little to decouple. If you can tell where the rattle is coming from try taking out the tiles in that area and retesting.

My old basement had drop ceiling and I had the same problem. The advice is good above to test the tie off wires to make sure they are tight. Most of the problem that I identified were loose fitting frames and this was mostly due to the tie wires not being evenly tight and making the frame unlevel or cockeyed. The tiles themselves have very little to do with the rattle.

My current basement I made sure had a hard ceiling and I also made sure the can lights had no vibration.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yup very easy to build... make sure you are not running the sub hot..i bet if you dialed it down or moved the sub away from the corners you may get a smoother response.

You can also dial the sub waaaay low and get some bass shakers to add feel but without busting out a window.

The HSU has a lot of tactile output...just dial it down a bit.

·
Premium Member
14,810 Posts
My previous dropped ceiling rattled like crazy. I tried everything. I fianlly ended up replacing it. I used Capaul Open Plan Black Nubby Tiles, 1" thick, with a commercial grade grid system. I had a professional install it. No more rattles.

http://www.certainteed.com/products/...-series/314118

Expensive, but that's what it took.

Craig

·
Premium Member
14,810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az /forum/post/20821746

I will go out on a limb here and say get rid of the drop ceiling! Worst material for hometheater and music!

Jeff

I disagree. A dropped ceiling, (that doesn't rattle), with open floor joists above, and fiberglass stuffed in between the floor joists, makes a big acoustic cloud/bass trap. Reflections off a hard ceiling are far more damaging than absorption into an acoustic ceiling.

Craig

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.