AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have the BenQ W1070 on order, along with a Chief mounting kit for a dropped ceiling, and an Elite manual pull-down screen (don't ask). Because of a beam running front to back below the ceiling, we don't have a huge amount of horizontal play for mounting the screen.

Of course, Murphy was hard at work making sure that the center of the screen is relatively close to the ceiling rail, and since the BenQ has no horizontal shift, mounting will be tight. I know that the ceiling plate has a slider that lets me get close to the rail, and we should be ok, but I have some questions:

Is there any horizontal play in the bracket that mounts to the projector?

Are we better off mounting the screen first and then the projector? Or vice versa?

Are there any clever ways to mount the screen to give us some horizontal adjustments without moving the eyebolts? I know we can use turnbuckles to adjust the height of the screen, but it's less clear about the horizontal positioning. My plan is to use eyebolts, turnbuckles, and either picture wire or chain for mounting the screen. The joists in the ceiling run side to side, i.e., parallel with the screen.

Many thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm going to answer my own question.

It turns out that between the beam and a gas pipe, we had about six inches of space to use for mounting the screen. So we had no choice but to mount it a bit off center from the room. We couldn't find any bright ideas worth the effort to fine tune the screen's horizontal position.

Fortunately, it was off center in the direction that match the play in the ceiling adapter for the projector, so at least we can easily get it aimed. Now we just need to get the projector leveled, get the ceiling outlets installed, and we're set.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts