AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So do any of you out there have your projectors mounted to a drop ceiling? I'm wondering if there are any creative ideas out there. I know they sell these kits that essentially replace one of the ceiling tiles and hang from the joists just like a tile would, but I don't know if I like that idea. I'm actually more thinking of doing something like mounting it to the joists above, and then poking an extension pole through the ceiling tile to extend down below the ceiling. I'd imagine that could be a bit tricky to get just right, but could be done. I have about 12" of space from the ceiling tiles to the bottom of the joists above.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoHo /forum/post/20800732

So do any of you out there have your projectors mounted to a drop ceiling? I'm wondering if there are any creative ideas out there. I know they sell these kits that essentially replace one of the ceiling tiles and hang from the joists just like a tile would, but I don't know if I like that idea. I'm actually more thinking of doing something like mounting it to the joists above, and then poking an extension pole through the ceiling tile to extend down below the ceiling. I'd imagine that could be a bit tricky to get just right, but could be done. I have about 12" of space from the ceiling tiles to the bottom of the joists above.

That is how we have always mounted projectors. Except most of these mounts that we have done have been for schools. It is not as tricky to do as you think.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,374 Posts
I would use the Chief mount system and simply drop the down tube through a hole in the ceiling tile. That way you have it anchored to the ceiling structure above the tile. Cut the hole in the tile then put some caulk or lipstick on the pole and shove up marking the location for the bracket. Remove tile and install bracket. Put in the tile than shove the pole up and screw into the bracket. Reward yourself with a cold one.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/20801552

I would use the Chief mount system and simply drop the down tube through a hole in the ceiling tile. That way you have it anchored to the ceiling structure above the tile. Cut the hole in the tile then put some caulk or lipstick on the pole and shove up marking the location for the bracket. Remove tile and install bracket. Put in the tile than shove the pole up and screw into the bracket. Reward yourself with a cold one.

So using that method, how close can I have the projector to the ceiling? I'm assuming the projector will be upside down, and I will need enough space to fasten the screws for the plate to the projector. Or is that something I can do before attaching to the top plate?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I just had this done using the same method.

First added a few 2x4 before mounting to get a bit better grab and a bit more drop.

And i think you'd want the lens at least in line w/ the top of the screen or lower.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/20805142

what projector do you have?

Don't have one yet. Waiting to see the word on the Sony HW30...so could be that.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
You will mount the plate onto the projector before "hanging" it onto the bracket on the bottom of he extension tube coming thru the ceiling tile. Depending on the specific mount you are using, you will need perhaps 3 or 4 inches exposed between the projector and ceiling tile in order to access the leveling adjustment screws and to insert screws into place to secure the bracket extending up from the projector mounting plate to the bracket attached to the bottom of the extension tube.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Ron. I was hoping to be able to mount it flush or nearly flush against the ceiling but I guess that won't be an option.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So here is what I ended up doing. I wanted the projector as high up as possible, so I wanted it flush against the ceiling, so I ended up making my own mount using some wood scraps I had lying around. Total cost - around $0.50 for the three 5M mounting screws and washers I bought. I used 2x4 for the extensions, and 1/2" birch plywood for the "plates".

Here is the area above with the tile pushed aside:

Here is the bracket before mounting (that cut out is to allow for the electric receptacle):

Here it is attached. I ended up adding a fourth extension after I attached to the ceiling for extra support. The one corner had a little bit of flex to it. I painted the one section that would be exposed. I made the 2 front holes larger to allow for some adjustment.

And the end result:

Overall I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. You can hang an average sized human from that thing and it won't budge (I tried it)! One thing I think I would do differently is use 3/4" plywood for the mounting plate rather than 1/2". The 1/2" has a little flex to it, but shouldn't be a problem since I added the fourth support extension 2x4. I was a little concerned about being able to get everything level and plumb, but to my surprise it all worked out with very little adjustment.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts

1 - 12 of 12 Posts