AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im at the stage now where its time to start putting up sheetrock and finishing off my room, my question is I know a Drop ceiling would be ideal but I dont think I have enough room for it, tell me what you think.. The height of my theater is about 7ft high, should i bother with a drop ceiling or should I just conserver the little space that I have with sheetrock?

Thanks!

Wu-

·
Registered
832 Posts
My floor to joist height is about 7' 3", and I'm going to be using "ceilingmax" which is a PVC grid that attaches right to the underside of the joists. It looks just like a typical suspended ceiling, and allows future access up above.

Supposedly the PVC nature of ceiling max makes it more "rattle free" than the typical drop ceiling, but that's just anecdotal information.

I may actually use a mix of sheetrock and ceilingmax if I feel really creative within the next few weeks.

Eric.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm that sounds interesting, but what about if the joists are not all exactly even? But then again I think the same would go for sheetrocking the ceiling... so really that track system your talking about is basically the same as sheetrocking in the sense that it applys right to the joists and is not like a typical drop ceiling that comes down x amount of inches...

Wu-

·
Registered
766 Posts
Are you trying to prevent sound from leaving the room? Two layers of sheetrock. If you need to uncouple the ceiling from the rest of the house, there are pros & cons with taking the resiliant channel route.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im trying to prevent as much sound from leaving the room that I can without going crazy, I have already slapped up some fiberglass batting to fill the empty cavities.. And im just trying to figure out which would be the best route for putting up a ceiling aside from sound absorbtion...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the same situation going on at my place

i was going to use the ceiling max system but i notices that the grids warped as you sight down them because of the way they are attached to the joists. For cost reasons a drywalled the ceiling i stuffed insulation in the cavities to reduce the noise. I mounted 2x4's to the joists and screwed and glued the drywall to the ceiling. i reduced the sound a lot but you can hear some things but I'm not build an Imax in my basement, I'll save that for the next house IMO

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea so I finally decided that I am going to just slap up some sheetrock to the joists because I feel that will be the best bet.. I will do double layer on ceiling...

Wu-

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
My dad was suggesting that over my existing drywall (and popcorned) ceiling that we screw some firring strips to the joists through the drywall and then hang the new drywall to the firring strips. IT sounds like it will work but it sounds like a lot of work. I'm thinking in my cheap ass house I just re-paint the ceiling to get rid of the dingy white there now and just run with it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am using the approach from THIS thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...n&pagenumber=1

Started insulating today and will post on how it turns out.

If you are interested HD no longer stock the material mentioned but it's readily available at roofing supply places.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.