AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use a drop cloth for an outdoor screen? I bought a 12'x9' from Amazon (although it shrunk a bit after I washed and dried it), but it was essentially 2 6'x9' cloths sewn together. In other words there is a big seam down the middle.

Just wondering if this is common with all 12x9 drop cloths. I've already installed grommets in it so I could hang it up on my porch, so I can't take it back, but I may grab another one for next season if it's too distracting.

My HDMI over ethernet kit from Monoprice is coming today, so I'll be outputting directly from my living room AVR, which has a secondary zone on the porch. So all I have to do is setup my projector in the yard and run the CAT5 out there, should be a piece of cake. I'm planning my first screening tonight, so we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
Probably won't be much of an issue. If you recall, drive screens were 4X8 sheets of plywood painted white so there were seams all over the place. My screen is black out cloth (BOC) with a seam long ways across the middle and it is virtually unnoticible, except in VERY bright scenes or when there is no action or camera movement and your eyes are focused right on that spot.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 /forum/post/20896834

Probably won't be much of an issue. If you recall, drive screens were 4X8 sheets of plywood painted white so there were seams all over the place. My screen is black out cloth (BOC) with a seam long ways across the middle and it is virtually unnoticible, except in VERY bright scenes or when there is no action or camera movement and your eyes are focused right on that spot.

Just like you said, the seam wasn't distracting at all. I was actually quite pleased with the quality of the picture on the drop cloth. I estimate that I had about a 165" 16x9 picture thrown from my old Epson HC 720. I cranked up the brightness to dynamic mode, and it was actually probably too bright.

Quite an enjoyable experience being able to show an outdoor movie for the kids
I'm glad I didn't sell the projector when I upgraded to a new Sony 3D.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.