AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a screen that they place in front of another RPTV or plasma, direct view tv when they want to view a film or HDTV content on their projector?

My kids (2 & 5) play xbox and PS2 as well as satellite for cartoons quite a bit. I don't want them viewing on the projector all the time and we already have a 65" Mits that they can watch.

I would like to have pulldown (or electric) screen drop down in front of the Mits when we want to use the projector.

Anyone have pics of a similar setup?

Thanks in advance.

Elmer

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Until I got my Panasonic PT-L200U a few months ago my 43" Toshiba RPTV was the centerpiece of my basement HT. The PJ came with a manual pull down 67x38" 16:9 screen that I ceiling mounted about a foot in front of the RPTV. The RPTV is used for casual viewing (news, standard-def cable, etc.) and the PJ is for DVDs and HDTV. To give widescreen movies the impact they deserve I made a roll-up 94x40" 2.35:1 screen which I mounted behind the 16:9 screen. As you can see in the pictures I still need to find a good way to get the scope screen out of the way when not in use.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
BMAG - Looks like you have some wrinkling issues with the 2.35:1. :(

Elmer- In our basement, we have something similar to what you are asking about. Sorry, I don't have any pictures yet, but I can describe it. What we have is a 98" DIY screen on a frame where we can walk up behind it, unhook it, and lift/hook it up flat against the ceiling, up and out of the way. Behind the screen is my father's Heathkit TV, which has always been our main basement TV, as long as I have been alive. :)

- David

·
Registered
11 Posts
Though I do not have my screen drop in front of another TV or screen, it does drop in front of my sliding glass doors and the way it's done will support two (inexpensive) screens easily and a couple more depening on adjustments you want to make.

What I did is very simple: braced the ceiling plaster-board with 2x4s in the attic, then cut a slot to allow a screen to drop through. As such, I am using a manual pull-down screen (~$200) and it looks great when up - nearly un-noticeable. A second screen would be as simple as getting a roll that rolls the opposite way, placing them within about two inches of each other. As my projector is about 25' away, it wouldn't even be that bad if I didn't re-focus, but YMMV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.