AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I am again guys :) Being new to both CRT projectors and HTPC's and just investing in both has really lead to some confusion. You guys were great in solving both my width problem and my black bar mystery in 16:9 format.

The CRT projector is working great, perfect width, no black bars.

Let's see if you can do it again, this time with an HTPC question!

This question is mainly just because I don't know where to start tweaking. The problem is with dvd play back. It looks as though it is dropping frames, or in other words it looks jumpy (may be a little grainy also with the digital boxes). It never freezes a frame, it just looks like it is dropping some. People will be walking and it looks as though they are tellaporting like in UT (only not so drastic). By the way I am only viewing dvd's no games on this baby.

So I guess I'll start with my setup.

HardWare:

*Soyo Dragon +

*AMD Thunderbird 1.2

*512 DDR Crucial Ram

*Toshiba SD-M1612 DVD Rom Drive

*Western Digital Cavier (WD300) Hard Drive

*Radeon 7500 retail {driver: 6.13.10.6071 (no tweaks yet)}

*Using the Dragon + on board sound (we haven't got to sound yet

;) )

*Switched DVD rom between IDE1 and IDE2 no difference. Right now it is on IDE2 on it's own cable.

SoftWare:

*Windows XP (did all updates. Someone please tell me how to check for DMA in XP!)

*PowerStrip 3.02 Build 201 {running 1280X720 @ 74 hz (already tried different refresh rates)}

*PowerDVD Version 4.0

I have looked at all the general info on the fourm so don't give me the "This questions been asked 1000 times before so we aren't answering."

This is why I am asking this question:

Tweaking means TWEAKING means specific for the hardware and software combination of each computer. I am at the very beginnings of tweaking and I know I have a pretty general HTPC setup (got most of the stuff from the "best in class" list)

I am hopeing someone has nearly my exact setup and could maybe take some screen shots of your general settings so I can at least start from zero and work my way up instead of starting in the hole.

However, any suggestions are helpful :D

I know how to change all the general windows stuff, but if you are taking me in to the registry or something it would be nice to have step by step instructions. Also instructions like this for anything may help other users using this thread as a reference that may not know.

Lets get our hands dirty!

DAN

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nothing huh? Don't tell me I wrote all that for notta... Come on guys throw around some ideas for me even if you do not have this exact set up. You can even answer without the screen shots, it's OK :)

For starters how to check if I'm in DMA mode in Win XP would be nice

Think smooth DVD playback

Think smooth DVD playback...

·
Registered
54 Posts
In XP, the drive DMA settings are located in Device Manager under the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers item. Check the properties for whichever channel it's hooked up to (Primary or Secondary), and you'll find the DMA settings on the Advanced Settings tab.

In older versions of Windows, the settings used to be under the drives, but XP (and WIN2K?) place them under the controllers item.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I use the same board with no issues, so:

OK, here we go:

Make sure that hardware decoding is enabled

Get the latest C-Media 8738 drivers and install

Get Via All-In-one 4.37 and install

Make sure you don't have any PCI devices plugged into the PCI slot closest to the AGP slot the video card uses.

Make sure plug and play option is disabled in BIOS (Note this may require a re-install of the OS, or at least a refresh)

Vern Dias

·
Registered
755 Posts
Try 71.928Hz as your refresh rate. This is a perfect multiple of the NTSC rate of 23.976fps. Other rates will produce beating effects which you'll see as choppy pans and jumpy motion.

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Get Via All-In-one 4.37 and install "

Via All-In-One Driver version 4.38 is out... is there a reason I would want 4.37 instead of 4.38.

Thanks,

DAN

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.