AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a great fan of "Travels in Europe" in HD, so it is particularly distressing to me to see sound and picture drop out at least once in every single episode. By contrast, I rarely encounter dropouts in any other PBS digital programs, either widescreen or high-definition. I had hoped that this problem would not occur in the new series, but so far it is just as bad as in the previous one. Does anybody have an explanation for this selective misfortune?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Larry,

It may well be your local connection that can cause this. I've watched the "Smart Travels" both over satellite on HDNet and also OTA from our local PBS station in Boston as they pass along the PBS feed (yeah WGBH!) and have seen many episodes, including the new ones, with no dropouts. Have you queried your provider about this?

By the way, you don't mention how you're receiving hidef in Syracuse. I have some family there who have been waiting for it to become available. I'd be interested to hear how it's being broadcast.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I also get it on WGBH (via ExpressVu) and haven't noticed dropouts either.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I watch Rudy on WGBH also. I don't have any drop outs, but I have terrible lip-synch problems. WGBH shows the PBS HD demo continuously, and for some reason Rudy Maxa's shows always give me lip synch issues. When WGBH is showing something that is simultaneously shown on their SD digital station, I have no lip synch issues. This happens on both of my DTC-100's.

SMK

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well since everyone here seems to be a WGBH person, maybe you'll be able to help. I'm currently getting WGBH via Comcast here in Boston, but I used to get it OTA. Either way, I get a "flicker" when watching Rudy Maxa. That's really the only show I watch on WGBH so I can't say for certain whether it's the station or just the program. It's as though there's a very, very rapid but consistent fluctuation in the brightness level (up and down 20 times per second or so, but I'm no expert at estimating this stuff). I can actually watch for awhile without even noticing it, but when I look for it, it starts to bother me.

I do have a Sony HDTV and was terrified that I got struck by the well-documented "flicker" problem that some people have been having with Sonys. However, it does not happen with any other channel, so I'm now pretty certain it's just a WGBH and/or Rudy Maxa problem. If it was a hardware problem on my end, it ought to flicker regardless of the signal I feed my TV - not just Rudy. Anyone else notice this?

Joe

·
Registered
92 Posts
Larry, I get my HD fix through TWC as well. I have some 'issues,' some of which sound the same as yours. Care to comment:

1. Rudy Maxa on PBS - While the HD Loop always runs flawlessly, Rudy occassionally drops out, loses sound for a sec, both, or shows pixelation. This occurs anywhere from 0 to 30 (yes 30) times an episode with half a dozen dropouts per episode the norm. Have you been able to correct this issue (do I need to bring in TWC to add a signal amp)? I also get Internet service via cable (RoadRunner) so I have a signal splitter/filter in the mix as well (FYI).

2. I missed the heads up for the Masters - I just saw the new channel in the online guide after the fact. They should include an HD schedule insert in the bill since they are specifically charging me for a digital set top box with HD capability (or even an e-mail). I did catch the NBA all-star game in time and that was pretty fun (although the crew showed some real rookie mistakes in production). Besides trolling in AVSFORUM, how best to hunt down a consolidated list of HD content specific to TWC including their unannounced extras?

3. I too, am looking forward to WIXT (ABC) throwing the switch on 889 to go from SD to HD. I was hoping they would come through for the pre-season MNF game but even after Al declared HD goodness was being sent, no joy in my HT :-( . My issue has to do with tuning to WIXT HD. If I tune to that station from another HD station (say NBC at 863), it comes up without problems. If I punch in the channel directly from a non-HD station or channel down from the non HD station just above it, I get a blank screen after the channel/logo/currently playing banner disappears. Any ideas?

4. ESPN HD - Any sign of this on TWC while Sunday Night BaseBall is still in swing? My wife's a baseball junkie and that's the only thing she says when HD comes up in conversation -- "what good is HD if you can't get baseball on it!" She even gave the TWC sales guy a hard time when he made a cold call to sell us HBO HD. He insisted she could get HD baseball but couldn't identify the channel to tune to. When I called, the customer rep had to ask the manager what I meant by ESPN-HD. MSG and FOXSportsNY are providing HD feeds to the LI Cablevision (I think it's Cablevision) folks. Any chance the feeds we get may be upgraded to include HD?

5. You mentioned Discovery HD coming soon in another thread. Any idea on how all this stuff will be packaged?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by RaDiKal
Larry, I get my HD fix through TWC as well. I have some 'issues,' some of which sound the same as yours. Care to comment:

1. Rudy Maxa on PBS - While the HD Loop always runs flawlessly, Rudy occassionally drops out, loses sound for a sec, both, or shows pixelation. This occurs anywhere from 0 to 30 (yes 30) times an episode with half a dozen dropouts per episode the norm. Have you been able to correct this issue (do I need to bring in TWC to add a signal amp)? I also get Internet service via cable (RoadRunner) so I have a signal splitter/filter in the mix as well (FYI)

2. I missed the heads up for the Masters - I just saw the new channel in the online guide after the fact. They should include an HD schedule insert in the bill since they are specifically charging me for a digital set top box with HD capability (or even an e-mail). I did catch the NBA all-star game in time and that was pretty fun (although the crew showed some real rookie mistakes in production). Besides trolling in AVSFORUM, how best to hunt down a consolidated list of HD content specific to TWC including their unannounced extras?

3. I too, am looking forward to WIXT (ABC) throwing the switch on 889 to go from SD to HD. I was hoping they would come through for the pre-season MNF game but even after Al declared HD goodness was being sent, no joy in my HT :-( . My issue has to do with tuning to WIXT HD. If I tune to that station from another HD station (say NBC at 863), it comes up without problems. If I punch in the channel directly from a non-HD station or channel down from the non HD station just above it, I get a blank screen after the channel/logo/currently playing banner disappears. Any ideas?

4. ESPN HD - Any sign of this on TWC while Sunday Night BaseBall is still in swing? My wife's a baseball junkie and that's the only thing she says when HD comes up in conversation -- "what good is HD if you can't get baseball on it!" She even gave the TWC sales guy a hard time when he made a cold call to sell us HBO HD. He insisted she could get HD baseball but couldn't identify the channel to tune to. When I called, the customer rep had to ask the manager what I meant by ESPN-HD. MSG and FOXSportsNY are providing HD feeds to the LI Cablevision (I think it's Cablevision) folks. Any chance the feeds we get may be upgraded to include HD?

5. You mentioned Discovery HD coming soon in another thread. Any idea on how all this stuff will be packaged?
1. My setup is the same as yours. The only PBS HD program with which I have trouble is Rudy Maxa. I therefore doubt that the problems with that program can be fixed by doing anything with equipment at the user's end.

2. This is my pet peeve with TWC, and it seems to be characteristic of local TWC divisions across the country. You'd think that they'd want to promote their HD product better in order to compete more effectively with satellite. Until then, continue to troll in AVSFORUM. On the way to the airport the other day, I glimpsed a new TWC billboard that trumpeted their HD offerings. This may indicate that a significant announcement is in the offing.

3. None. Thanks for telling me about this "feature." I had wondered about the blank screen. It's clear that WIXT is still having technical problems getting their digital operation up and running. This seems to happen often when digital stations commence operations.

4 & 5.The following e-mail is the source of my TWC information. It's a response to an e-mail I sent them in frustration. Perhaps you will find it to be of some help; Unaitas seems to be one of the few people in the local organization who has a clue as to what HD is all about. Contact information is at the bottom of the e-mail.

"You'll be pleased to know that we're announcing next week the carriage of WIXT's High-Definition signal (on channel 889), and the imminent launch of Discovery Theatre HD (at no additional cost for customers with HD-capable converters).

"That will bring to six the number of HD channels we're offering, and we have plans to add as many other HD channels (including some of the ones you mentioned) pending contract negotiations at our corporate office.

"I think you'll find that we offer more HD programming than any other provider, and we'll certainly be the ONLY provider offering the HD signals of local broadcasters.

"Rest assured, this is a priority for us.

-- Jeff Unaitis

Jeff Unaitis, VP Public Affairs

Time Warner Cable

6005 Fair Lakes Road

East Syracuse, NY 13057

(315) 634-6242"

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks for the info and quick response - this sure beats the customer service hold times at TWC!

Discovery HD included for current digital fees is very nice to find out. This bodes well for hoping ESPN HD isn't too far behind and is also included.

I've seen the same billboard you mention on RT690 in a couple of places by the NYS fairgrounds. I counted six channel logos but didn't eyeball it enough to see exactly which ones were offered. I'll have to take a closer look to see which (PBS, NBC, ABC -- almost, Showtime, HBO, and perhaps Discovery HD is the sixth).

I am particularly interested in seeing how the ABC 720p conversion goes given that the Scientific Atlanta 3100HD box only puts out 1080i (IIRC). I have a Sony 40XBR800 which is capable of handling both 720p and 1080i native (older models upconverted to 1080i). From what I have observed, fast panning in 1080i suffers the same choppiness that the gold standard (film) suffers even though it is at a faster framerate (30 .vs. 24).

Does anyone know if Scientific Atlanta has a set top box that will pass 720p native as well as 1080i?

·
Registered
92 Posts
You're right, the 40XBR800 will accept a native 720p signal and then upconvert it to 1080i for display. I guess I mistakenly recalled that as handling 720p fully (including direct display). I think the reason for that was the prior years model didn't handle 720p at all (IIRC).

Thanks for validating.

·
Registered
40 Posts
NP, didn't want you to go through finding a 720p box and then not being able to display it. AFAIK, there aren't any tv's that can handle both 720p and 1080i natively......maybe this is changing (not counting fp setups)?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.