AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to make a buying decision and now I'm trying to figure everything out here! I've inherited a Lightware L1020Plus LCD projector. After searching around the forum I'm finding info about contrast ratio, polysi size, native res, XGA or SVGA... the list goes ON and on and I have NO idea what to buy now.

I've got 3K to spend on a projector. I'm trying to fill an area that's 78" starting from the point where the wall meets the cieling and dropping down towards the floor. I can only cieling mount the projector or place it squarely in the back of the room in the middle point between the cieling and the floor. I know nothing about polysi sizes and what they have to do with pixel quality, nor have I been able to deduce what res I should be watching my DVDs at. I'm running an HTPC outputting my VGA monitor cable to the projector currently. It's a nice picture, but I keep reading that I need a better contrast ratio than the one that I'm getting which is 150:1. Apparntly FILM is 400:1, so I would suppose that this means I need a projector capable of that, yes?

I'm sorry, so many questions... so little knowledge on my part. Any suggestions for a projector that I'm not gonna see a screendoor image with?

Josh:confused:

·
Registered
778 Posts
The answers to the following questions will help determine the projector you need/want. Is 78" the height or the diagonal? Also what distance will you be projecting from? What do you watch primarily (I mean DVD's, HDTV, cable/satellite)? What kind of light control do you have in your viewing area?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gotcha. 78" is the height of the picture. I primarly watch DVDs and cable. The lighting in the room is completely dark and right now I'm projecting from the back of the room which is about 18 feet away from the screen. Do I go DLP or LCD? I'd like something with a high polysi size as I've got a large screen to fill and I don't want that screendoor/honeycomb effect. Of course, that depends on whether or not it's LCD.

Josh

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.