AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to order drywalls for my basement build (including a 19x13x8.5 theater). I plan to use a drywall lift to hang the entire basement (1700 sq ft) by myself. The joists of the ceiling are 20 inch apart. Is it okay to use 1/2" for the ceiling? Should I use 5/8 to avoid sagging?

Any suggestions for a newbie drywall DIYer are welcome. Thans in advance.

Eric

·
Registered
238 Posts
It really depends on what you are trying to do + your structural situation. i.e., if you are looking for soundproofing, the thicker the better and some even go with double layers. However, this can only be accomplished with sufficient underlying structural framing. If you are just looking to drywall the ceiling aesthetically and cost effectively, there's really nothing wrong with even going 3/8" for ceilings. Again, this depends on what you are attaching it to. A standard joist configuration should be fine for 1/2" and no need to go any thicker.

·
Registered
238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fore2002 /forum/post/20875781

Thanks, Mark.

BTW, nice looking theater.

Eric

Thanks. One of these day's I might actually post final pics...pretty much a dead thread now though!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.