AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've seen techniques for finishing drywall around doors, when one has two layers of drywall and clips, but I cannot find the threads/posts. Could someone point these out to me (or give recommendations on finishing)?

I'm redoing a room and will need to have two matching doors. I've seen tips on here such as "find door manufacturer that will mount a wood door to an outdoor frame", but I'm having a hard time finding such a place in CT. If anyone knows of a place in CT/NY or thereabouts, or can give me tips on how they performed their search, I would be much appreciated.

Also, in terms of a door, what kind of door would be "best" (I realize that there are great sound proof type doors, but these are too expensive)? Solid wood, such as these:

http://www.solidhardwooddoors.com/HTML/door-wood.html

Or some other type?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
What type of clips are you using? We have install guides that discuss drywall and clips around doors.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White /forum/post/17052770

What type of clips are you using? We have install guides that discuss drywall and clips around doors.

Ted, I'm using the Whisper Clip. I cannot see any articles on your site dealing with drywall around doors. Could you point this out to me?

By the way, I'm having a very hard time finding drywall hat/furring channel.

Also, what I'd like to do is add a drop-down seal to a door, like the following (which unfortunately only shows a very small version of the article):

Drop down seal inside door

Is this possible? I could simply add a drop down seal to the outside of the door, but my wife would likely consider this ugly.

And, I have 32 inch doors, and everything seems to come in 36 in widths. I wonder if it's possible to cut one of these drop down systems to 32 inches?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands_at_Pier147 /forum/post/17052231

Try House of Doors. I grew up near the one in Salem. Their web site shows a location in Cheshire, too. Not sure where you are in CT, but you might be sufficiently close to one of those two shops.

www.houseofdoors.net

That is a great place. Thank you for the link. I called them, and they said that they don't custom order anything, so there's no asking them to put an indoor wood door in an outside frame. But perhaps I could buy the door and then add outdoor style weather stripping and a drop down seal.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen /forum/post/17058656

Ted, I'm using the Whisper Clip. I cannot see any articles on your site dealing with drywall around doors. Could you point this out to me?

Bob, Did you get your clips from us? We don't keep track of the Forum UserNames. This level of installation detail is not online. We send out Custom Installation Manual articles with purchases so you should have received those from us? If so, send me your e-mail address.

By the way, I'm having a very hard time finding drywall hat/furring channel.

Are you looking at commercial Drywall, insulation and steel stud distributors? You have a schematic of what to look for?

Also, what I'd like to do is add a drop-down seal to a door, like the following (which unfortunately only shows a very small version of the article):

Drop down seal inside door

Is this possible? I could simply add a drop down seal to the outside of the door, but my wife would likely consider this ugly.

Full mortise application is certainly possible. As long as you can cut the mortise. Or have a door shop do it. I haven't seen that particular brand before. It's not from Reese or Zero.

And, I have 32 inch doors, and everything seems to come in 36 in widths. I wonder if it's possible to cut one of these drop down systems to 32 inches?
You might find that 32" won't allow you to get furniture in and out.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen /forum/post/17058660

That is a great place. Thank you for the link. I called them, and they said that they don't custom order anything, so there's no asking them to put an indoor wood door in an outside frame. But perhaps I could buy the door and then add outdoor style weather stripping and a drop down seal.

That's curious. Their web site says "since we make every exterior door frame to order, we can 'tailor' your order to accomodate unusual dimensions. We strive to provide 'whatever you need whenever you need it.'" I guess it's more of a marketing slogan than a reality.

Sorry they couldn't help you out.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White /forum/post/17058844

You might find that 32" won't allow you to get furniture in and out.

Ted, I'm working with a room that's already built. Unfortunately, there's no way to increase the size of the doors. Even more unfortunately, there's a sliding glass door, two windows, and a fireplace. The glass door helps with the furniture movement, but not the sound proofing. Until I can afford a better house, this one will have to do. I'm using GG, DD, and clips on only part of the room, mainly as a test for the next house, when I build a multipurpose room that's built correctly (room within a room). Until then, I'm just increasing the sound proofing and functionality of this room, along with adding recessed lights.

I wasn't necessary saying that was the drop I was going to use, only that it's a consideration. I'd like to build this in if possible, as I think it looks much better built in. If I have to add the drop down to the outside of the door, I will.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/17058890

Bob, did you ask them if they could do a solid interior door with exterior weather stripping?

I found this link a while ago and called them at that time and asked them a similar question. They said basically that what you saw was what you got. However, I'll give them another call. Perhaps my question wasn't clear.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ted,

I've found the drywall furring channel. It just took a while to call people. The local place had never heard of it.

I did buy the clips and GG from you, but the info you sent has the door frame exactly matching the outside of the drywall. That likely won't happen in my case.

Also, would you please send me the article on how to build backer boxes for lights and wiring boxes? I constantly have to search for this. I'll send you my email address via PM.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
PLease make sure it's correct. I suggest taking the Clip installation article with you, as it has the dimentions and schematic of exactly what we're looking for. 1/2 the time they feel their product is correct, but it is not.

I have sent your articles also.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Did this ever get answered? I am in the same boat.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen /forum/post/17058656

...I have 32 inch doors, and everything seems to come in 36 in widths. I wonder if it's possible to cut one of these drop down systems to 32 inches?...

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
You should be able to order it. Just talk to the sales guy at where ever you are buying the door.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.