AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you all use an ordinary driver or the one made for drywall?

I do understand that a regular philips head cracks the covering whereas the the other one recesses the larger area of drywall to reduce cracking for better contact. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
169 Posts
*For sure* use a screwdriver tip made for Drywall. I picked mine up as a pack of 3 for about $2.00 at Home Depot (in my Home Depot, they were at the contractor's checkout aisle). These are just like regular phillips head drivers - except they have an additional piece stuck on so they spin out instead of burying the screw. Absolutely necessary...

·
Registered
523 Posts
Better yet, get an attachment for your drill that has an adjustable control for the depth. Once the screw reaches that depth it lets go. Very easy to load and use, just push the screw in the front and let 'er rip. You cannot overdrive the screw. Saves an enormous amount of time and energy. The home depot SKU is #150121. The stupid site doesn't work with a link, so just go to www.homedepot.com and search for the SKU.

Here is the item peteness was referring to from Lowe's .

·
Registered
50 Posts
I used the same type bit for my drill with mixed results. I got a little frustrated with it so I spent the money about $79 and bought a Dewalt driver made just for drywall and decking. It has an adjustable depth gauge and sets the screws perfect every time. I did my entire basement in my old house and plan to do the same in this house so it was worth the money. I don't know if I would spend the money if I were doing just one room.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just finished drywalling my garage, and my neighbor, who works in construction, let me borrow his DeWALT drill designed specifically for hanging drywall. It has the magnetic tip and everything.

When we move into a new house and I actually have the opportunity to hang the drywall a HT...I will definitely buy one of these...

Here it is at DeWalt.com (actually a whole page of them):
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...?categoryID=48

As you can see, they are considered a screw driver/fastening tool...

·
Registered
564 Posts
The drills designed for drywall have a clutch that disengages when when the screw reaches the preset depth.

If you are hanging your own drywall, you owe it to yourself to buy a few tools to make it easier and to improve the end result.

--Burke

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have yet to start the drywall, but I bought a great toy at HD. It's a Senco screw gun which uses self-feeding strips of drywall screws. Just set the depth and off you go, no having to place and hold a screw; much easier for a one-man show such as myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.