AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd ask this question since it was mentioned by another member of going this route..Sounds like a good idea cost wise and the fact you can have ANY color you want seems awesome! I know theres a drawback or else alot more would mention doing it,what do you experts think?

brickie

Of course we're talking about for a dropped ceiling application.

·
Registered
700 Posts
ya, I'm considering this route because I'm having such a hard time finding black ceiling tiles and the cost involved. Carpeting is going to put me over budget, so doing the ceiling with drywall tiles might be short term solution.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
you mention that it was mentioned by another member, did you find that thread? it was discussed not too long ago, i think, whatever was said therein might be of some use.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Trust me..it's not easy to track down black ceiling tiles.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Are you guys talking about using 1/2" or greater, or thinner like 3/8" drywall for your panels?

I'd think that the 1/2" & over (and maybe even the 3/8") would be a huge weight load on the tracks. Anyone know the weight of drywall offhand?

Just playing devils advocate here.......

Tall Shadow

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
I think the track would handle it. You'd just have to increase the number of suspension wires supporting it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm with tall shadow on this one. I don't think the grid will like all that weight.

The black tiles are tough to track down, in my experience. My remodeling guy had to paint them all flat black. And it took 2 or 3 coats to get them looking good, and they just soak up the paint. But, it did work. So, you could paint standard tiles any color you wanted, you just have to paint the gridwork as well.

The other thing is every time you move a square to get at something, you'll get more of a mess than standard tiles, wouldn't you?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
As long as the grid is secured, it will hold the drywall squares fine. After all, the grid can hold lights, etc in a commercial building. In fact, many restaurants have vinyl covered drywall tiles in their kitchens for cleanability and fire resistance. I would not skimp on wires though.

If you do use the drywall squares, be prepared for a live room as the ceiling tile absorbs a lot of reflections in the room that drywall will not.

If you want to paint the tiles, lay them out on the floor and use a sprayer. That should keep the white edges from showing of the tiles move and a sprayer is the only way to make them cover well (and you will need lots of paint).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.