AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will it do any good to put up a second layer of drywall with greenglue, or not, to act as a sound barrier if there is a opening for a hallway that will not have a door on it? It could actually be used on 2 different walls that are at a 90' angle to each other.

Picture a main family room with a bonus room on the back wall and the hallway on 1 side wall that goes to the bedrooms. i am trying to deaden the sound going to the bedrooms somewhat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,002 Posts
IwantmyTHX:

Quote:
Will it do any good to put up a second layer of drywall with greenglue, or not, to act as a sound barrier if there is a opening for a hallway that will not have a door on it?
Nope.


If 66% of your wall is STC 75 (usually great decoupled stud wall with GG and insulation and three layers of drywall on one side and 8" poured concrete on the other side), and 34% of your wall is an open doorway, it will behave like an STC 5 wall.


If 66% of your wall is STC 15 (really terrible minimalist wall), and 34% of your wall is an open doorway, it will behave like an STC 5 wall.


In other words, nope, no change.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. back to the drawing board.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top