AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I just picked up a DS about 50 years after I first wanted one. I got two games, Animal Crossing and Professor Layton.

The screen is cool, first thing I did was go into Pictochat and draw a schlong which is I believe what you are *required* to do upon getting a DS.

But I popped in Animal Crossing and it felt like... Animal Crossing for Cube! Which is what I want, I want to be Nook's indentured servant all over again. But Layton is awesome, I actually decided to get a DS after doing the puzzles in the Layton ads in magazines (you send your answer to Nintendo via cell phone). Very great graphics and great puzzles. When is Layton 2 coming out?

I also wanted a couple other games, such as Picross, but its out of print. Same with Kirby: Canvas Curse. How come DS games go out of print so quickly? Picross only came out last year and was one of Nintendo's bigger releases IIRC. I am gonna have to go through eBay or Amazon sellers and risk getting a bootleg. BTW its like this for Japanese games too, there's another puzzle game I want (Slitherlink) that was released in Japan and is also OOP.

Any tips for avoiding those bootlegs? And which screen do you prefer for playing GBA games, I have one or two I want to play now.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
For older or out of print games, you might want to try a game-trading site like GameTZ or Goozex. I find specialized sites like that have sellers that are more likely to be "honorable" than ebay or Amazon. Although, they'll of course be well aware of the value of such games. I still can't find a used copy of Tetris DS for a reasonable price.

I like the top screen better for GBA play, as the bottom screen has a slight tint to it due to the touch-screen overlay, not to mention the various wear and tear it's likely to bear (sorry for the rhymes) over the course of its life.

This thread reminds me that I haven't played my DS in like a year. I really should.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you have a DS now, I'd suggest looking into getting an R4DS.

Normally I don't push something like that, but after I got mine I knew I couldn't live without it. This way you can use homebrew and *cough* 'try out' some games before you buy them. I don't know how strict this place is on links to something like that, so you'll have to google it for yourself. lol

As for GBA I use the top screen.

My bottom screen is a bit lighter because I put a protective filter on it. Never had to take it off or anything since day 1 and it keeps it nice and unscratched.

Picross is pretty badass. I should go back to playing that more.

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
If you liked Layton, then I would also look at Hotel Dusk and Trace Memory. Also, owning a DS means you need to own New Super Mario Bros. The game is ungodly awesome.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosTheMouse /forum/post/14179654

If you have a DS now, I'd suggest looking into getting an R4DS.

Normally I don't push something like that, but after I got mine I knew I couldn't live without it. This way you can use homebrew and *cough* 'try out' some games before you buy them. I don't know how strict this place is on links to something like that, so you'll have to google it for yourself. lol

Nah, I don't pirate stuff. At all. I can afford the things I enjoy.

The only time I will want something like that is to be able to play Mother 3 fan translation when it is finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames /forum/post/0

Also, owning a DS means you need to own New Super Mario Bros. The game is ungodly awesome.

Not really crazy about it. I'd prefer to have the Yoshi's Island GBA cart.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/14181172

Nah, I don't pirate stuff. At all. I can afford the things I enjoy.

The only time I will want something like that is to be able to play Mother 3 fan translation when it is finished.

Not really crazy about it. I'd prefer to have the Yoshi's Island GBA cart.

There's also Yoshi's Island 2 for the DS (though the original was better.) As for the Mother 3 translation, I agree, but an R4DS won't help you there anyway. (You'd need a slot-2 cart.)

·
Registered
19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames /forum/post/14180762

If you liked Layton, then I would also look at Hotel Dusk and Trace Memory.

Hotel Dusk and Trace Memory are both such a yin yang for me.

I loved Hotel Dusk but for some reason was tortured through Trace Memory. I think it had something to do with the dialog. It seemed poorly translated or something, as if things were left out. Hotel Dusk though was 100% win.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 /forum/post/14181339

(You'd need a slot-2 cart.)

Ahh, understood. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosTheMouse /forum/post/0

I loved Hotel Dusk but for some reason was tortured through Trace Memory. I think it had something to do with the dialog. It seemed poorly translated or something, as if things were left out. Hotel Dusk though was 100% win.

Wasn't there another adventure game called Contact I think? How was that?

Also, anyone play Fire Emblem on Game Boy Advance? How was that?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
The GBA Fire Emblems are a ton of fun. Be warned, with the arguable exception of the last GBA release, they're a lot harder than the GC/Wii iterations.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosTheMouse /forum/post/14182319

Hotel Dusk and Trace Memory are both such a yin yang for me.

Trace Memory is much rougher around the edges. Hotel Dusk was clearly made after the team had some more experience with the platform. Both feature a lot of 'what do I do now' sticking points, where nothing will happen until you do the trigger action to move the plot forward.

Layton 2 is probably going to be out for the Holidays.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Later impressions:

Dual screen/stylus use is iffy. Some games utilize one or the other pretty well, but so far I'd only say of the ones I have played only Phantom Hourglass uses both to great effect.

Online mode is a far sight better than I expected. I had trouble hooking the DS up to it but Nintendo's help site is amazingly thorough. It had my exact router not just by itself but in its FiOS configuration (oh yes, the dreaded Actiontec WI424WR). I followed the site's instructions and it worked first try. Major props to Nintendo for that help site. MAJOR props. Microsoft's and Sony's in comparison are just... well, they don't exist.

The friends code system sucks but its not like I know tons of people on DS Wi-Fi every night like they are with 360. For hopping into a quick game its fine, and Picross has tons of downloadable puzzles (too bad the DS doesn't have mass storage so I could just download them all). I would say the DS online is better than the PSP's by a fair margin.

Here's what I want from the DS:

1. Mother series (Earthbound) ports.

2. Mario Kart 2 DS without all the item trash

3. Companies to keep their old games in print a little longer.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/14188874

Ahh, understood. Thanks for clearing that up.

Wasn't there another adventure game called Contact I think? How was that?

Also, anyone play Fire Emblem on Game Boy Advance? How was that?

Contact was an RPG.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I wish I could get one but I know my bad vision would ruin the experience.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts