AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
question: will the DSC RFK5564 with the wireless receiver communicate and be controlled/armed/disarmed with the wireless WTK5504? eliminating the need to buy the TR5164 wireless receiver.

im trying to put together a DSC alarm system to integrate with vera edge, so everything can be controlled from one app such as homewave or veramate.

decided on these parts:
vera edge home controller
envisalink3 to control DSC alarm
DSC PC1864NK control panel
DSC 3G2060RUSA GSM Communicator Cell Backup
RFK5564 wireless keypad receiver
3x WTK5504 wireless keypads

would this setup work? or would I still need the TR5164 wireless module to communicate with the WTK5504 keypads?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I'm pretty sure you need the TR5164 for the wireless keypads. If I remember correctly the WTK5504 is only a receiver and the wireless keypads need two way communication.

If you opt for the TR5164 you won't really need the RFK5564 anyway. The TR supports up to 60 wireless zones and 16 wireless keypads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure you need the TR5164 for the wireless keypads. If I remember correctly the WTK5504 is only a receiver and the wireless keypads need two way communication.

If you opt for the TR5164 you won't really need the RFK5564 anyway. The TR supports up to 60 wireless zones and 16 wireless keypads.
yea then I have to buy a "programable" keypad to configure the system which run $100+ so I was looking to save a few bucks.
I was trying to avoid having to buy another keypad to program the system so I figured I'd kill 2 birds with one stone with the RFK5564 as it has the 64 zone wireless expansion and is a programable keypad.

ultimately I want to "hide everything" and just have the 3 wireless touch screens (WTK5504) next to 3 different entry doors, and using envisalink I can remotely arm and disarm the system within a vera edge app.

is there a way I can program the system without the "programable" keypad?
thru windows? MAC?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
You can use any standard hardwired keypad to program from. In fact I would suggest at least one hardwired keypad in your system to initiate programming. It doesn't have to be anything grand.... maybe a pk5508 (I've seen them as low as $25 on ebay), and you don't even have to mount it by a door. Mount it down next to the panel

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
ultimately I want to "hide everything" and just have the 3 wireless touch screens (WTK5504) next to 3 different entry doors, and using envisalink I can remotely arm and disarm the system within a vera edge app.
I have the WTK5504 and the TR5164 MUST be used with this keypad

One other thing to keep in mind... there really is no such thing as a wireless keypad. You have to supply them with power so you will need 2 wires. Could come from an outlet next to the door or from the panel itself.... but you need power.
Check out the PTK5507 (hardwired). It's a nice touch pad. It will display family pics too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

One other thing to keep in mind... there really is no such thing as a wireless keypad. You have to supply them with power so you will need 2 wires. Could come from an outlet next to the door or from the panel itself.... but you need power.
Check out the PTK5507 (hardwired). It's a nice touch pad. It will display family pics too.
yea I figured it didn't have an infinite battery and would have to be plugged in to power somehow..lol that's fine. I just don't want to have to run a wire from panel to each keypad.

the PK5508 has no LCD display screen and I would prefer a cheap keypad that has a display screen.

the PTK5507 is a little pricey (I don't care about displaying pictures, I don't need a big touch screen) and I need 3 of them, I only need the WTK5504 for a quick glance arming status, and to arm/disarm the system from either 3 touchscreen keypads, and they look much nicer then the push button numbered keypads.

which is the cheapest hard wired keypad with a LCD display??? this wired keypad will remain in or right next to the CP metal box and will only be accessed when programming or adding devices/zones to the system. once programmed it shouldn't be touched.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the input bigbarney,

not to be nosey but can u tell me what parts u have in your DSC system?

and are u using a vera edge with envisalink3?

also are u in the USA? (I can't figure out what security company is mainly for which country)

I'm so confused on all these systems and just want an all-in-one customizable app (homewave or veramate), to view system status, control and monitor remotely, with a cellular backup connection to a cheap 24hr emergency monitoring station.

I prefer to pay more for "portable/expandable" hardware then to pay more for reoccurring monthly monitoring fees to control and message/alert, while keeping the 24hr "cellular" monitoring emergency services as a "backup" if I'm not around and my phone is dead and someone breaks in or there's a fire exc..

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
the WTK5504 keypad can receive live status and control/arm/disarm the system, doesn't this mean it "sends" and "receives" ? = 2-way
Yes but it operates on a different send frequency... 433Mhz I think it was.

From the manufacturer:

Compatible with IMPASSA, ALEXOR and PowerSeries (via TR5164)
I think you misunderstand (and my typo above isn't helping things... I meant to say the 5564 not the 5504). The DSC RFK5564 keypad contains a receiver ONLY and that receiver is for your wireless sensors. It does not transmit. It is hardwired between itself and the main alarm panel. You need two way communication (at 433Mhz) to operate the 5504 wireless keypad.

The TR5164 not only contains the receiver for your sensors, but it also contains the transmitter required to operate your 5504 keypads.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Bigbarney, I just purchased a WTK5504 for use with my 1864+TR5164. I have enrolled with no problems but it does not appear to be receiving any zone data - it arms/disarms and knows the system status but no specific zone data (so the voice chimes do not work). I should add that the only other keypad I have is the 2-way WT5500 which was used to successfully program the 1864. I'm wondering if only one 2-way panel is compatible with a TR5164? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Is it working in just chime mode? Did you program the names of the zones into the 5504 (ie: zone1=Front door, zone2=back door... etc).

It will only work with the normal chime (like the chime that your 5500 gives) until you program the labels for each zone.

If you're not even receiving the normal chime for your zones then you most likely did not enroll the keypad to the given partition. (programming function [000])

1 - 11 of 11 Posts