Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DScaler team:

Ok - first, many things have changed on my machine, not the least of which, I have upgraded to Windows XP. But since my upgrade to DScaler 3.1.0, I have been having performance issues with "jerky" video (better defined below). I would appreciate any help that anyone can lend.

My config is as follows:

ASUS CUSL2, PIII, 933MHz

256MB Mushkin memory running at 222 5T/7T

ASUS AGP-V7700 GeForce 2 GTS, drivers v21.83

Windows XP Home Edition

Pinnacle PCTV Pro

30GB Maxtor

By "jerky", I refer to a rotating shimmer and shake in on screen text display, observed particularly when I watch something like CNN with the scrolling text stream that runs along the bottom of the screen. The text will scroll smoothly for a second, then shimmer and shake noticeably for another, rotating.

I have tried changing advanced settings to adjust the program and decoding priorities to "Very High". This did not help.

I have ensured that I am NOT running any other programs. This did not help. The only significant service running on the machine is DScaler.

I have tried other deinterlace settings - Adaptive, Greedy High Motion, Greedy Low Motion. No change. Still see the text jump. Changing deinterlace mode does have a significant effect though. If I set it to "Simple Weave", the jump is eliminated and the text scroll is smooth, but then I get a very noticeable and annyoing combing throughout the entire picture.

Any suggestions? I believe my PC should be of sufficient power to handle this. It has been able to handle DScaler in the past, although I am still tuning XP.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Try turning off pulldown autodetection and see if it's still jerky.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I don't have a lot to add to this (nothing concrete). However, I have experienced poor performance with XP and DScaler.

The problem is that I am always changing things around. As such, I never quite know what caused that problem.

I think that I might run some tests today. Same setup (hardware) will be used while switching only the OS. If I get around to it, I will post the results.

-Steve

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! That was fast, Dan. Thanks.

Yes - turning off pulldown autodetect helps a lot. Still some jump, but much better.

Is there anything else that I can do to optimize performance a little more?

Yes, I know I'm in search of perfection, but that's why we're all here, isn't it?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Hmmm... Is your mobo CMOS flashed with the latest?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep. 1110 Beta 2. Can't get any more current, last time I looked (maybe two days ago?).

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry - meant to type 1011 Beta 2. And I just checked - lo and behold I'm not current. There is a 1011 Beta 4. So I have now downloaded and installed it. But sorry, Dan - no change.

Perhaps I'm being picky - but I consider the "CNN banner" as my acid test. Other than this, I have no trouble with DScaler. The video on just about any other type of scene is fine. Silky smooth and clean. Of course, many of us are watching CNN rather often right now, so it does bug me.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Have you tried reducing the Pixel Width and turning off all the filters?

-Steve

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. I reduced the pixel width from the default 720 to 640. Again, that helped a bit more. I'm pretty much there. Thanks guys.

But this does remind me of an old joke:

A fellow goes to visit a crafty old New York tailor to buy a suit. The tailor pulls one off the shelf and the guy tries it on. But one sleeve is too short. The tailor says "Well - if you hike your other shoulder 'like this', then it looks alright doesn't it?". The fellow agrees. But then he observes that one leg is longer than the other. So the tailor says "Put your hand in your pocket and hike it up a bit". Yes, that solves that problem. Then the fellow observes that jacket won't button. So the tailor suggests that he squeeze his shoulders together - and sure enough - the jacket will now button.

The fellow leaves the store, and is walking down the street. Two elderly women are walking towards him. One observes to the other "Look at that poor man - all hunched up! So sad!". "Yes", says the other, "but doesn't the suit fit nicely!".

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
LOL! :D

I'm thinking that your best bet is the Greedy HM algorithm. Try the experimental pulldown matching option.

I don't know what the problem is with the pulldown detection and removal algorithm in this release. I can't use it, but that was to be expected somewhat because I only have a Celeron 500.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Yeah I'm still in the same boat,Thought I had it nailed down and things looking ok but still something is up. I'm starting to think XP has overlay performance issues. I dunno. 98 is gonna make a comeback on my machine I think ;)

-Trouble

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I am enjoying XP. So I'll give it until at least SP1 before trashing it.

Also - could it be the Detonator drivers? I am using 21.83, but there are a number of beta releases coming out that claim much better performance - although, I'm not sure how that will affect the overlay, specifically.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.