AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After weeks if not months of testing and polishing I'm finally ready to issue a new stable version of DScaler into the world.

Get it while it's hot

DScaler 3.1.0 executable

DScaler 3.1.0 sources

For those of you still running DScaler 2.3.0 or any versions of dTV here is what's new
  • Help for most features, just press F1
  • Massive improvements to 2:2 pulldown detection.
  • Improvements to 3:2 pulldown detection on material with bad cadence.
  • Channel editing with fine tuning
  • New UI support for all most ini file settings
  • Laurent's Auto-Calibration see Here .
  • Improved auto-aspect ratio detect.
  • Auto-format detection (switches between PAL and NTSC by default)
  • Updated Linear Correction Filter with alpha non-linear zoom mode see Here
  • Tom Barry's new all-singing all-dancing Greedy High Motion plugin
  • Increased range of contrast and saturation
  • Added Lindsey Dubb's Old Game method see Here
  • Added Lindsey Dubb's temporal comb plugin see Here
  • Improved Sound support
  • New mixer control for users not bypassing the PC with sound.
  • Greedy 2 frame improved.
  • Overlay fixes.
  • Experimental Time-shifting support.
  • Additional card support
  • Teletext improvements
  • NTSC50 mode for Chris Williams
  • Always on top full screen flag
  • Gamma filter fixed
  • Various Bug Fixes
  • Additional code pages for teletext
  • More flexible zoom and positioning
  • Alpha Logo Killer plug-in
  • Alpha Sharpness Filter
  • Added PAL-NC mode for Argentina

For those of you who have been using the alpha version thank you for all the bug reports hopefully most of them have been fixed. There are only a few minor bug fixes since 3.0.9

Help

DScaler now ships with a fairly comprehensive help file. You can browse the help Here .

You will find answers to most configuration questions here.

Known Issues

The processor requirements for the film detection code have gone up. This improves the quality of the detection but means that DScaler may longer run on lower spec machines. We may well provide the option to have the old style detection in future releases but in the mean time sorry.

Stereo Sound support is still very patchy using the internal tuner see Here

Thanks and good luck

John

·
Registered
514 Posts
John does this still have the debugging code compiled into it that is in 3.0.9?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
genixia

I don't think so.

John

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jack

Sadly no.

For the autogenerate to work it's magic you really the device you want to calibrate to generating the signal.

I believe Laurent has plans to add patterns for better calibaration of the overlay but this won't really help in your sutuation.

John

·
Registered
839 Posts
Adding my 2 cents and a couple links.

FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions regarding DScaler are online in English, French, and Portuguese. This is a highly suggested first reading to understand DScaler and what it's all about.

http://www.dscaler.org/FAQ.htm

Press articles

The old "reviews" page has been replaced by a new "What they say about DScaler" page. You'll find here a couple of user comments, links to manufacturers that bundle our toy with their machines, and press articles gathered all along.

http://www.dscaler.com/reviews/

Feedback and bug reports

Of course, AVS and all the online ressources are the best way to answer you questions and the place to go when something goes wrong and you wonder whether this is a bug or not.

Once you're getting quite sure this is a bug, use Sourceforge's ressources to post it. This will be easier for us to track them, find duplicate bugs and such ...

The link is
here

Everyone enjoy this release :)

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
A very important feature that could be added? How about the capacity to calibrate off of a VCD. we could generate our own graphics calibration set of files and burn our own VCD's? this way there would be capacity for almost anyone to get their DVD player calibrated, as not everyone has the Avia disk. Is it responsive only to the Avia disk? Is it possible to do what we need to do with a VCD? You see, most modern DVD players will handle VCDs.

I don't know really. I've never looked into VCD's I don't know if we can burn our own or not.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Ken: there are several calibration disks supported. Please see the link in John's first post, above. I use Avia and it works quite well on both analog and SDI.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Looking forward to playing with this over the weekend. As I posted earlier last week, Dscaler 3.09 saved the day with the DVD of Battle Royale. Just gets better and better.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Another wanted nice feature:

I'm using my Pinnacle PCTV Rave card to only watch TV from.

I don't use a DVD player, so I can't calibrate to that.

I'd love to see a calibration pattern to use the default test signal a lot of TV-stations output at night.

It's the one with a round circle with all the colors in, and the digital clock in the middle.

That would be great thanks.

And also the mute on channel change would be very nice.

If I could use my Pinnacle IR-receiver and remote together with DScaler I'd be a happy camper too.

The last thing: TeleText support would be very nice too.

Other than that I'd like to say that I find the improvement from v3.0A to v3.1 significant.

The entire picture looks much smoother, and so is the motion.

Very nice job. You continue to impress me!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I suspect the way the auto calibration works(from using it) is by comparing what's comming into the capture buffer to a known reference, a stored internal copy of the expected test pattern samples. They tweak the BT hardware until the values in the capture buffer match those of the stored internal reference.

Since the video comming from a software DVD player in no way passes through the BT dac how on earth could they calibrate against that? The two are not even related.

As to calibrating to some signal broadcast by some TV station : they would need a perfect copy of the test pattern used by the station. And in any case the auto calibration use two patterns, one for color and one for gray scale as far as I can tell.

So, the only way to get auto calibration to work is to provide an exnternal signal that can be compared to an internal reference.

As to VideoCD : it's should be easy to rip stills from the Avia or VE disks and make a VideoCD with the right patterns. Or load them into a digital camera and plug the NTSC out of the camera into the capture card.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hats off to the entire DScaler team!

Now I know what Dan was hinting at. :)

Great stuff!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnAd
  • NTSC50 mode for Chris Williams
In case anyone is wondering what this means...

When you play a PAL DV tape in an NTSC Sony DV camcorder, the result is neither PAL or NTSC. It's PAL framerate (25 frames per second) and resolution (625 lines) but with NTSC color encoding. This works OK with most NTSC-only TV sets, but doesn't work with multi-system TVs or TV input cards.

In a great example of the dScaler team's responsiveness and skill, I posted about this problem. Mark R. responded with a suggested bit of code and suggested how I could fix it. I'm not a programmer, so he sent me an executable with his proposed fix. It almost worked, and he sent two tries within an hour before tossing it to John Adcock. In less than a single day, I had a perfectly working version of an entire new video format. The most astonishing bit is that, as far as I know, neither man has ever even seen this format!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KBK
How about the capacity to calibrate off of a VCD. we could generate our own graphics calibration set of files and burn our own VCD's?

[...]

Is it responsive only to the Avia disk?
Ken ; a couple of French guys have started a project of creating a "mini-dvd". That is vob/mpeg2 on a cd-r. Aim ; providing everything needed to tune an htpc to the best. Including a test patten for DScaler calibration.

So this is an alternative to tuning-only (and not free) dvd like Avia.

Also, Dscaler supports the "THX Optimode" test patterns that you now find on a lot of THX certified dvds. I did beta-testing with Laurent and I've been using those patterns from the "ultimate toy box" and from the region 2 EP1 dvd.

So no, Avia or VE are not mandatory investement to try the calibration.

But from a general point of view, and I should blame myself for not making this clear in the FAQ :(, it requires an external device capable of delivering the test pattern in an analog form to the grab card. Period.

Ianken ; you're quite right in everything you say. But regarding OTA broadcasts of test patterns, we can sure try to use those. Drop me an email with a grab of it and details of when/where this is broadcasted. Even if we don't have a reference capture, color test patterns are often using the same rgb values. So even if the capture you do is not perfect, we can approximate that the "blue" bar is meant to be 0,0,190 for instance.

Esben ; regarding the Pinacle IR receiver. This is just not supported and probably won't be. However, I suggest you to monitor Girder's forum ( http://www.girderl.nl ) as some people have already worked on a generic solution for remote driven by the Bt chips on grab cards. I don't remember what's the exact status on this.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Yvonus

Esben ; regarding the Pinacle IR receiver. This is just not supported and probably won't be. However, I suggest you to monitor Girder's forum ( http://www.girderl.nl ) as some people have already worked on a generic solution for remote driven by the Bt chips on grab cards. I don't remember what's the exact status on this.
Yvonus,

The IR Receiver is plugged into the serial port COM1, and when I use the Pinnacle software under Windows ME it receives just fine. But when I try to use something like Girder, it won't accept when I send an IR-beam from the remote.

Very strange...

Perhaps it's Girder that I configured wrong.

·
Registered
9 Posts
John,

Thanks a lot for your work with DScaler. Thanks to the entire team ! I'll try this new release this WE.

Just a question, could we imagine a way to use DScaler to record movies using hardware compression ? I think about those TV cards with extra chip to do real-time MPEG or MPEG-2 encoding such the ATI TV Wonder or the great Hauppauge WinTV PVR. This could be really great for DScaler 4 !!

See U,

Thomas Olivaux

·
Registered
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Esben
The IR Receiver is plugged into the serial port COM1
Ok I got it wrong. When speaking of grab-card related remotes, there's 2 "worlds" ; the ones like the Pinacle who are using the serial port for the remote. There's a plugin specific to that situation written by Doc S but I think it has never worked correctly http://www.girder.nl/download.php?Link=18

The other world is the one where the remote is connected to the grab card, and a function of the Bt chip is used to drive this remote.

This is where a generic approach is trying to be found among Girder fellows.

See the "WinFast TV2000 plugin" here http://www.girder.nl/download.php?Link=151

Quote:
This is the BT8x8 plugin for the WinFast

TV 2000. This is the first step in creating

a general BT8x8 Plugin! Adapting to a

new card should be very easy
The dev.forum thread is here http://www.girder.nl/phpBB/viewtopic...124&forum=3&35

So definetely, if something moves on this issue, this will come from Girder, not from DScaler I guess.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks goes to the programmer who added VTV support, I get a little noise in the audio area, but other then that it works pretty good. The noise when changing channels has been eliminated where other programs didnt. Not sure if its in the release I know its in the 3.0A by the way I'm ntsc.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.