Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like a late 70's punk band...

I'm in the process of upgrading my existing PIII 450 system with a dedicated HTPC. Cost is of primary concern right now but I want to have a clear upgrade path without having to completely gut my system. For that reason I'm considering the AMD route using a 1.0GHz Duron CPU at first with the option of moving up to an Athlon XP later on (once the wife approves the purchase order ;) )

Now for the question...does the Duron have enough juice to drive Dscaler 3.x for both film and video sources?

I'm using the system primarily for DVD viewing but wanted to eventually be able to watch some sports and maybe some PVR functions if possible. I've seen a few threads that say the PIII800Mhz is the minimum for full DScaler functionality but haven't seen any mention anywhere for the AMDs.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Muzza:

___Your proposed Duron based HTPC will have enough performance to handle all but the most aggressive DScaler algorithms. The one item I thought I would add is the following: With the cost of an XP 1600 + just $30.00 more then the 1.0 GHz Duron today, why not consider the much more powerful CPU instead? The 500 – 700 MHz equivalent performance gain will certainly help in wrapping up DScalers most demanding algorithms ...

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sup muzza,

I just built a HTPC about 3 weeks ago. Its running a AMD Duron 900 chip. I have Dscaler 3.0 installed and it works flawlessly. If you do decide to purchase the 1GZ AMD chip, then you will be very well prepared to run almost anything. I went on the HTPC mid-range side because of cost issues, but anything 1GZ or higher is said to be High-end.

Later..

Soulman

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies...any idea if the Duron can support PVR capabilities like TimeShifting using PowerVCR or WinDVR?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another benefit I see in staying below the 1.2 gig mark is cooling will be easier. You won't need a 36 db or greater fan running in your case to keep it cool.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.