AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This applies to dScaler 3.09 with input via Cybertainment Card on Win98se.

I watch BoB via Tivo - which was recorded with a Svideo cable from my Cable STB, then Svideo cable into my HTPC.

the easiest way to describe this is with the ending credits.

when they started to roll, the white credit lines moving UP would drag and LEAVE very BLACK areas of pixels behind them, telling me that what was supposed to be a black screen, was in fact a gray screen.

I had noticed this earlier during scenes from the show. For scenes inside the tent, as they moved around or went from the snow scenes to almost black inside the tent, i would see stuff (like left over burned-in images) from the prior scene.

I thought my Blackout Cloth Screen was dirty at 1st. Then I thought I had something casting light onto the screen. Then I wondered if a DLP could have image burning.

Not until the credits and seeing what happened there did I realize this is some black level thingy.

how do I fix this?

tia

·
Registered
839 Posts
Pretty hard to describe such visual things but I'm wondering if this wouldn't come from noise filter related artefacts ? Check that this filter is not activated (press enter and look at the osd).

You select bob, but why don't you let Dscaler figure out what's the current best deinterlacing method ?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yvonus

you wrote: You select bob, but why don't you let Dscaler figure out what's the current best deinterlacing method ?

"BoB" meant Band of Brothers - I'm letting dScaler use GreedyHM for deinterlacing - seems to work best.

ianken

I figured everyone would see this same type of thing - but I guess my black level is being raised by the cable (not that crappy) and Tivo signal - BoB looks fine.

I'll have to play with the video settings on the HTPC and see if I can adjust the black level a bit - the telltale sign is the ending credits on BandOfBrothers - as I wrote above.

Its like painting a screen a couple of colors grayer than Black, then as the credits go by, they wipe they grar away and leave perfect black underneath.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Jaymer-

Do you have the Greedy Median Filter turned on, and set up pretty high?

Also, is the movement jerky on the credits.

- Tom

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi tr

using Greedy High Motion, as soon as i enable "Median Filter", my picture continually jumps several pixels in the vertical - up and down several times a second. It makes no difference what the amount of the slider is set to.

btw, after playing around with display output options (Alt+1-n, Ctrl+1-n, shift+ctrl+1-n, etc.) i found that dscaler would no longer startup after i quit it one afternoon.

i stumbled into the logs and found that it was getting a divide by zero error during startup, and ABENDing.

i removed the ini and reinstalled 3.09

i noticed the next time BoB came on, I never saw those artifacts anymore during the credits, so I guess something had been changed in my 'experimentation' prcocess of having a new toy :)

thx and keep up the great work on dScaler

·
Registered
204 Posts
If the grey was very dark, I'm with Yvonus -- The problem was likely due to the temporal noise filter. It's unable to fade completely to black.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.