AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attempting to use the DScaler calibration w/AVIA but was wondering if this requires a standalone DVD player or can I use WinDVD / PowerDVD?

Is this even worthwhile if I am just watching DirecTV through DScaler? Is there some other way to calibrate this?

Thanks

·
Registered
839 Posts
Hi there. Please read the Help file here http://www.dscaler.org/Help/Calibration.htm

You're missing something important. The DScaler chain of operations is the following ;

analog source->Bt8xx chips->DScaler->overlay->screen

The calibration process REQUIRES an external analog source with a test pattern in order to feed the Bt chip with it.

Then DScaler will try combinations of grab parameters so that the grabbed image is as close as the (known) reference.

Of course, you can't use a software dvd player inside your htpc to feed your grab card with an analog source ! You need an external laserdisc or dvd player and a dvd/laserdisc with one of the referenced test pattern.

To be exhaustive, there's a very uncommon case where the analog source can be generated internally by the htpc and fed internally to the grab card. But you don't want to here about it. I shouldn't even mention it.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dubmaster

I use it mainly with DVB sat transmissions and it would be really nice to have this calilbration pattern that is normally fed in the european birds.
Yes, I'd too love if they could implement calibration to the test pattern sent by many TV-stations.

I think almost all people have access to a TV-station which sends out this pattern at some time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.