AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've been trying to get this to work for about 7 hours now and I'm starting to fall asleep - I could use a few pointers and the searches have not rendered any useful info...

I have started the HTPC project and tonight was the night to fire it up and start testing before connecting to the TV - The main problem is that I can't get Dscaler to start at all. I am using the current stable version, but when I click on the dscaler.exe file, it just beeps and displays "Can't create overlay" (and some numbers) click the ok button and it goes away.

Here is a quick rundown of current setup and and config.

PIII 800Mhz on Gigibyte 6VTX Mobo w/ 512mb PC133 SDram

I/O Magic PC PVR - with, and then without, Powervcr installed

ATI Rage pro XL 2x AGP video card

Intel Pro100B nic

WinXP PRO

DScaler - unable to run current stable release (only version I have tried)

Powerstrip - trial version reads and controls my video card correctly

I had thought that this setup would work, but I am starting to have some doubts about the current ATI Rage Pro video card. I saw the ATI 8500LE for sale at CompUSA, but decided not to upgrade until I had at least a configurable working system so as not to go through the hassle of multiple ATI driver issues, etc. I have heard of others at least getting results with very basic video cards.

I must also mention that there are a lot of current AVI, divx and other mpg codecs installed getting various movies and files to play through Windows media and real players, but I also assumed that would be pretty common for a media PC.

The I/O magic was the last thing to go into the system, and I did a FULL install of all of the drivers and software - Was that the correct thing to do? I tried disabling, and even uninstalling the software, but there has been no changes. With it's own software, it does capture fairly well without any problems.

I'm actually falling asleep writing this, so if anyone has some newbie advice or possibly a common beginner mistake or even a thread post link that might give me few things to try tomorrow, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

vegggas

·
Registered
207 Posts
I sometimes get the same error message when I have another application that uses the overlay feature, such as the DVD player. I'm just wondering what application and/or utilities are running on your system. Use the task manager to get a list and use msconfig to get rid of it if you find the offender.

·
Registered
106 Posts
As audiovideodude already said, another application might use the overlay already. Close down any other video related application. Netmeeting also might use the overlay, even if it is only running in the task bar!

Note that this is unrelated to the capture card, it is related to the video card.

Try reducing the desktop resolution.

If that does not help please give the numbers that are printed in the error message, this will tell the exact reason why the overlay can't be used.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help so far... The recurring error is:

"Can't create overlay surface: 887601e0".

I have tried starting in [email protected] , but now default to [email protected]

There are no running tasks currently on the system vis taskbar.

Using msconfig services, I just disabled an ATItaskapp or something and a creative disk thing along with about 80% of all non essential services that were running. Just for the heck of it, I also unchecked the mapi and MCI extension in the configurations too. Everything under startup is unchecked except for powerstrip.

Still at a loss, but I going to pick up the radeon 8500VE tonight and throw that in since the video card doesn't support higher resolutions anyway. Failing that it's back to win2k pro.

Vegggas

·
Registered
106 Posts
The error message means that the requested overlay size is too big.

Open dscaler.ini and find the option BackBuffers. Set it to 1 or if that does not work to 0. This reduces the amount of buffers and thus overlay size used by Dscaler.

Reducing resolution or color depth of the desktop does help.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by int10h
The error message means that the requested overlay size is too big.

Open dscaler.ini and find the option BackBuffers. Set it to 1 or if that does not work to 0. This reduces the amount of buffers and thus overlay size used by Dscaler.

Reducing resolution or color depth of the desktop does help.
Interestingly enough, The program never creates the ini file, because it crashes from the start. So, I downloaded the latest alpha version, which actually did some type of installation (the previous version just unzipped to a directory). Clicking on the v4 dscaler.exe, I was able to enter the basic information to actually create the ini file - Progress! I get to the point where it now asks for the tuner card and it autodetects the i/o magic as a Pinnacle with Phillips tuner, click next and then it crashes - with the same error. So on the above advice for back buffers, the default in my ini file was =-1. I tried =0, and =1, but neither worked. I also tried copying the ini file to the directory where the 3.1 version exists, but that version still locks from the start without card selection.

I have reinstalled PowerVCR and it correctly sets an overlay in all resolutions and color depths. For further testing, I went down as low as [email protected] 256 colors and tried several other resolution combos, but nothing has worked yet. I also looked through the debug list, but haven't seen anything that seems to resemble my symptoms.

With the off chance my video card is not compatible, I'm off to get that Radeon 8500LE now. Any other ideas to try when I get back from across town???

Thanks

Vegggas

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DScaler Now Works! Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I Went and purchased the $69 ($89-$20 rebate) Radeon 8500LE from CompUSA and eventually got the old drivers out of the system well enough to install the new card. I am starting to believe that the old card's drivers were not really XP compatible and that was the underlying source of my problem.

Now I just have to learn all of the great features and connect it up to the TV. I have several questions about the usage, but I will search out those answers later. No sleep for two days, but it looks like it may be worth it.

Later and thanks again

Vegggas

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ok, Mine does that when Kazaa is running.. IF you have it, take it off of your HTPC...

·
Registered
106 Posts
vegggas,

Don't forget to set BackBuffers to -1 again.

It is never a good idea to use dscaler.ini from another version.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reminder about the backbuffers setting, I had forgotten already.

As far as using the ini file for a different version, the V3.1 never had an ini file. It was only created after I installed the alpha version, So I figured I had nothing to lose. Subsequently, the v3.1 created a new ini file as soon as it didn't crash upon start and init. I did delete the copied one just in case too.

I didn't see any documentation about having two different versions of DScaler. Setup just asks to delete the ini file, but does that mean in the same directory, or can alternate versions be run separately?

The newer alpha version is installed and appears to work ok, but I am leaving the older one in place to switch to if I need it.

Vegggas

·
Registered
106 Posts
Quote:
Setup just asks to delete the ini file,
Can you tell some more about this?

I don't think there is any logic about the ini file in the setup program. The setup program does not prevent installing v4 in the same folder as v3 (but it does issue a warning if the v3 directory already exists), this might result in problems when v4 tries to use the v3 ini.

No-one really knows if running v4 with the v3 ini will result in problems. But since a lot of things have changed between v3 and 4 it is better to be safe than sorry.

If you install v3 and v4 both in their own folders you can happily use them both (but not at the same time). There should be no reason to use v3 though.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had the same problem with the "cannot create overlay" and found that the hardware acceleration had to be turned up a notch to the third one down from "full". I had turned it down because of an application that crashed the system with it turned up. I think it must be a driver problem in my case.

Jim

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Setup just asks to delete the ini file,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you tell some more about this?

I don't think there is any logic about the ini file in the setup program. The setup program does not prevent installing v4 in the same folder as v3 (but it does issue a warning if the v3 directory already exists), this might result in problems when v4 tries to use the v3 ini.
That was just referring to the instructions listed under help. It said to make sure you delete the ini file before installing a new version.
Quote:

If you install v3 and v4 both in their own folders you can happily use them both (but not at the same time). There should be no reason to use v3 though.
Yes, I have V3 in an old folder, now with an ini file that was never initially created until I had the video card working correctly. V4 created it's own directory structure and installation and works independantly. After getting V3 to work and then going to V4, you are correct, not much reason to use the old stuff anymore, but it's going to remain while I am testing.

As noted before, I think my entire problem was the drivers for my ATI Rage XL not being fully XP compatible. The swapout with the ATI 8500LE and completely removing the old drivers got everything working.

At this point I am considering this a closed thread and new comments will be made in other threads. Thanks for all the help

vegggas

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.