AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only purpose of this post is to thank and congratulate the Dscaler team for the wonderful piece of software they put together.

Yesterday I hooked up my digital cable stb to my HTPC bt878 capture card, and fired up the AE-100. I wanted to test the setup with the hockey game, in order to be ready if satisfied for the next Montreal playoff game.

Waow, the result is far better than expected. My previous experiments with Dscaler and my low-end old Laserdisc were pretty lame (that's why I didn't try the digital cable sooner).

But the picture from the digital cable is really nice, even with fast action sports. Only drawback is that wide shots of the ring looked blurry, but close ups were sharp. I'm sure there's a way to improve the picture, I only used the video greedy high motion deinterlace mode and didn't do any tweaking.

I ended up watching the entire game, and then the NBA game, and then some other channels (news, series) in amazement ! Guys, you ruined my night !

Dscaler is a great software. It looks so pro, and is so complete.

AR functions are wonderful. I set the aspect ratio to 1.55 to almost fill my 16:9 panel (croping a bit on top and bottom), and the experience is much more enjoyable than my 50" RPTV. I think my image width was like 1.5m.

Closed captions also work like a charm, as OSD and so on.

No drop frames, no stutter, and I only have a [email protected] ! Maybe the AE-100 low res native mode helps though.

Another curious thing is that I noticed less compression artefacts, despite the bigger picture. Can Dscaler help in this regard ?

So big thanks to John, Mark, Jim, Dan and all the others for bringing dTV to life. I can remember the birth of this project with Mark's 3:2 pulldown thread, along with the first releases John sent in the wild. At that time I was using Multidec to watch a French encrypted channel (technological purpose only ;)), so dTV looked familiar. What a long way this project has gone ! I will cherish those memories forever...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.