AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just about come to the conclusion I am going to sell this computer for its parts and start over. Here is my system:

Abit bx6 rev 2 mobo

Celeron 600 overclocked to 900 (stable as can be, tested at both 600 and 900)

Radeon LE video card

128 megs of CAS2 ram

IBM 45 gig 75gxp hard drive

Aureal Vortex2 pci sound card

Toshiba dvd-rom

Iwill Iside scsi card

Panasonic cd-r scsi burner

Zoltrix tv-max capture card

I have tried this with overclocking disabled as well as the scsi card disabled in the hardware profile and the same problems persist:

1. Dscaler always works the very first time I open it upon booting up. It will run for 6 hours just fine without locking up or anything. However, if I close Dscaler and then try to open it back up it will lock up my system. No task manager can be used or anything. Just locked.

2. Windvd and ATI ALWAYS give me a blue screen the first time I try to use it. This of course causes the program to close. I try it again and it opens fine thereafter.

Something tells me this is a motherboard issue. I don't know what else it could be. Everything else seems to check out just fine. Can anyone offer any kind of suggestions of what might help me? Like I said before the scsi card has been disabled in the hardware profile and the cpu set at the default speed of 600 yet I still get the same problems. So I don't see how those two things could be the issue.

It might be time to go back to the drawing board again http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks to anyone who can help.

JP

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have to admit I've seen a couple lockups with latest DScaler that I never stumbled into before. Didn't want to write about it until I got some solid infos to give. Too late http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

Locked on a picture, no BSOD .. happened a couple times. Hopefully not during the movie I was watching. Perhaps switching between channels. Don't know exactly.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
JP

This looks like it could be a DirectX/Driver problem could you give OS/DirectX Ver/ATI Driver Ver.

John

Yvon

If the picture just hangs then this means that the deinterlacing or processing code has crashed. Could you watch out for this in future and report back with deinterlacing mode and any options selected, if it occurs when there are frame drops this may help as well.

What procesor are you using?

John

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
JP: These appear to be related to DirectX, either in the OS or the video card. I would uninstall DirectX, make sure that you have stable drivers on your video card, and then reload DirectX.

edit: wow. And one and a half hours later, we cross-post. At least we agree on a remedy. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

Dan

[This message has been edited by dschmelzer (edited 06-11-2001).]

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys. I am very confident this is not a directx or video driver problem. I am using the latest directx 8.0 drivers (downloaded yesterday). Also, the Radeon driver I am using was close to the latest and recommended by others here at this forum to be the best for smooth dvd playback. The big thing that points that this is not a video driver problem is the fact that I had the same problems with my previous Geforce 2mx card as well...exactly the same problems....different card, different drivers, same problems with both windvd and dscaler.

Any other suggestions? Oh by the way I am using a Celeron 600 for my cpu.

·
Registered
122 Posts
See what cards are sharing IRQ. I'd suspect the SCSI card. I had one of those IWill cards and it didn't play nice with Promise IDE controller when sharing IRQ. I got rid of SCSI altogether. That's what happens when a hardware messes with me! HA!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally posted by FerretLover:
See what cards are sharing IRQ. I'd suspect the SCSI card. I had one of those IWill cards and it didn't play nice with Promise IDE controller when sharing IRQ. I got rid of SCSI altogether. That's what happens when a hardware messes with me! HA!
OK...I just removed the scsi driver from my system, shut down, and then ripped that scsi card out. Unfortunately, the problem still persists. Dscaler allows me to use it once and then when I close it and try it again it locks up. It highlights NO MSP DEVICE then locks. I have to cold reboot to get out of it.

I ordered a Cybermail capture card last week. It should be here tomorrow or the next day. If this thing exhibits the same problems I am starting from scratch and I am going to find a system that uses all my applications and is completely stable.

Thanks again.

JP

·
Registered
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JP:
I have just about come to the conclusion I am going to sell this computer for its parts and start over. Here is my system:

Radeon LE video card
I'll buy your Radeon LE any day! LE's are impossible to get in Europe...

------------------

-Torgeir

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Before you throw it away, have you tried reformatting?

------------------

Cal Z.

Mits 65903 (65" widescreen HDTV)+ RCA DTC-100

and

Gateway Destination 27" (Princeton Arcadia based)+HTPC (Pentium II 400, 256mb, 20gb+9gb HD, Radeon LE, cybertainment tv tuner, asus dvd-rom, hercules game theater xp, Kenwood VR409 DTS receiver)

[email protected]

·
Registered
471 Posts
This is definitely a motherboard problem. Tiny little chance it's a memory problem, but much more probable a motherboard problem.

Try disabling a lot of features in the bios, eg. AGP features (also memory speed features) and see if it's the AGP/PCI controller that is weird.

------------------

-Torgeir

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hi have you tried not over-clocking your CPU. Years ago when I did video editing I use to love over-clocking my CPU. Only to learn that the high demand, PCI timing ect. would randomly cause the computer to lock up.

clopez

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the input. I do appreciate it.

Pivot: I am glad you think this is a mobo issue because just don't see how it can be anything else. Unfortunately, I am not parting with my Radeon http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I love it for dvd playback.

Namlemez: I just bought this hard drive about a month ago. A fresh install was done for everything and there is hardly anything running in the background that could cause problems. Good idea though.

Clopez: Yes, I have tried using the cpu at default speed with no overclocking. Dscaler still locks.

I have a strong feeling this is still a mobo issue or some kind of conflict with the Zoltrix card. As soon as the Cybermall card arrives I will try it. If there are still lock ups I am getting rid of this mobo/cpu/ram and starting fresh.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Also note that win2k is very sensitive to overclocking, when winMe runs just fine. But I guess you were allready running winMe.

------------------

-Torgeir

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.