AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read the DScaler FAQ and have been through several posts here about it, but I can’t seem to find the newbie info that I’m looking for.

Ideally, I’m looking for two things…

1. Where I can find a good (but not overly-technical) explanation of the various terms and concepts of video processing. i.e. What is a Weaving Error? What is the difference between bobbing and judder? Etc…

2. What do *all* of the features in DScaler do? For example, What does adjusting Pixel Width do? What does Include Chroma in Detection do? Etc…

Thanks in advance,

Steven

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yeah, the DScaler documentation still has a way to go. There are some unexplained settings which take video expertise to understand.

About deinterlacing (and bob, and weave, and pulldown) take a look at this article:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html

It’s written about DVD output, but it applies to line doubled TV signals, too.

Your second question is a little too broad to answer. But the specific issues are doable. Pixel width determines how many samples (pixels) are taken per horizontal line in the picture. You’ll want it to be pretty high — At least 640. Above that will improve the picture if you have a good signal, but will also give the program more work to do, which could give you a jumpy picture if your processor is slow.

“Include chroma in detection” isn’t a very important option — It affects the way DScaler detects differences between fields for pulldown inference. (You’ll probably need to check the article in order to understand that sentence. ;) ) Normally only brightness differences are used — With this option turned on, color differences are included in the calculation. Pulldown detection doesn’t work very well for me regardless of this option’s setting.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lindsey,

Thanks for the great link! It is very clearly written and gives great examples - very helpful to me.

I guess that I will have to put together a specific list of questions and then seek out the individual answers. I will endeavor to do it in an organized fashion and perhaps a new FAQ will eventually be born. (so far it includes one link, two definitions, and one thanks to ‘High Speed Dubb’ :) )

Steven

·
Registered
204 Posts
StevenH,

Be sure to read this forum’s FAQ — It does answer some of the DScaler questions which are likely to come up.

Once you’ve got the list, you might want to post it to
http://www.dscaler.org/phpBB/index.php

Though you may not get all the questions answered, it will tell us DScaler people the kinds of issues which need some (or more thorough) explanation in the online help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.