AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason my dscaler only works when the user is an administrator, otherwise it's saying that it can't find the hardware.

Perhaps it has something to do with dynamically loading a device driver, I don't know. Is there any way around this?

thanks.

ps: running on xp pro

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Yes, it's true on W2K and probably /Me (??) because of the dynamically loaded device driver. You will have to be running with administrator privilidges.

- Tom

·
Registered
47 Posts
Alternatively (if you don't always want to be running as the administrator) you can do a simple run as command and run the program itself as administrator while being logged in under your normal name.

Chris Bennight

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
It should also be possible to install the driver with srvinst and then run from a user account. But run as is probably the easiest way.

John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnAd
It should also be possible to install the driver with srvinst and then run from a user account.
what is it exactly? there is no such executable on my box.

btw, I've tried to go to "Local Security Settings" and enable "Load and unload device drivers" for a group - no results.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnAd
alex

Typo sorry, you want instsvr.exe

http://www.pyeung.com/download/nt/ntreskit/instsrv.exe

this allows you to install DsDrvNT.sys as a servide then set it to start up automatically, once you've done this then users should be able to run DScaler.

John
Thanks for the link, it does indeed add a new service, but it can't start, here what the eventlog says:

The dScalerDriver service failed to start due to the following error:

The dScalerDriver application cannot be run in Win32 mode.

I understand it expects to see an executable, which the sys-file isn't. Maybe there is another utility that would register it as a device driver?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
alex

I've got XP installed now so I'll take a look at this.

May need to write a little install program.

John

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you decide to go the Run As route, then maybe the following will be helpful. You can use the Windows Script Host (WSH) to automate running runas.exe. Simply copy the code below to a text file, dscaler.vbs for example. You can then simply create a shortcut to that file, or use "wscript.exe dscaler.vbs" if you wanted to launch it from Girder, etc. Take note that you may need to change the path to your DScaler.exe and obviously your Administrator password. If you experience weird problems with DScaler settings, then try omitting the /noprofile switch - but since DScaler uses its dscaler.ini file, I don't expect problems by using the /noprofile switch.

'----- begin dscaler.vbs -----

'set up shell and run command

Set oShell = Wscript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

CmdResult = oShell.run("runas /noprofile /user:""Administrator"" ""C:\\Program Files\\DScaler310\\DScaler.exe"" ",2,false)

' delay for a second to make sure window is up and running

vstart = now

do while datediff("s", vstart, now)
wscript.sleep 1000

loop

' now that the window is up we can set focus and send the keystrokes

' note that the ~ after the password is a carriage return

oShell.AppActivate "%windir%\\System32\

unas.exe"

oShell.sendkeys "password~"

Set oShell = Nothing

'----- end dscaler.vbs -----

If you're concerned about security and having your administrator password listed within a plain text file :eek: then I suggest you download the following so it's far less likely for someone to determine the password.

Microsoft Script Encoder and run the following from a command prompt:

screnc.exe /l vbscript dscaler.vbs dscaler.vbe

Now after saying all that, it probably would be worthwhile to consider using:

AutoIt script automation

- you should be able to send keystrokes to runas.exe using AutoIt

- this will allow you to run the runas.exe command completely hidden, whereas running wscript.exe spawns a command window briefly.

- there is also a program that comes with AutoIt that will convert your script to a standalone executable file (Aut2Exe), which would make it more secure than the .aut text script file.

Whether you use WScript or AutoIt depends on how finessed and transparent you want this to be.

All the best with whatever you end up doing,

Tom

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Sorry for messing you all around the utility you need is instdrv.exe

http://www.fci.unibo.it/software/VGA/SIS/INSTDRV.EXE

run

instdrv DSDrvNT DSDrvNT.sys

in the Dscaler directory.

You may then need to go to devices and start the device. It should then be possible to run Dscaler as a normal user.

If this works then I will add a program to automate thsi process.

John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally posted by blipszyc
Did you guys try adding the user to the "Power User" group. This should give the user access to run the program, but not do any administrative things.
Yes I have, I even went to edit the policies - didn't help.

btw, thanks to everybody who responded.

I guess I'm gonna stick with the VBScript solution, the reason I didn't want to use the standard "run as" it's because I don't necessarily want to give my password to everyone.

So anyway looks like the problem is solved. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
btw, John I almost forgot, the instdrv.exe link is pointing to some drivers, not the actual utility. I did manage to find one however that is supposed to do exactly that - register a driver, but it didn't work and I didn't spend too much time trying to figure out why, since there was another solution available.

but thanks very much for the support.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It appears that there have been several ideas suggested on this thread, but no one ever said they made anything really work. So I thought I would offer my story on Windows 2000:

I tried Tom Cunningham's vb script, but could not make it work. By taking out the /noprofiles option, I got dscaler to start, but kept getting the message on the dscaler window "Error: Can't Use Overlay". Then dscaler would close.

Tom did send me down the right path though by using AutoIt at http://www.hiddensoft.com/AutoIt/ . While logged in as a user, I generated a shortcut to dscaler, set the "run as different user option", and put the shortcut on the desktop. I could not get an AutoIt script to run the shortcut directly, but I was able to get it to send out the shortcut key command which I had given the shortcut. Here is the AutoIt script I used:

; Cntrl+Alt+s will start the dscaler shortcut

Send, !^s

; Send the Administrator password

Send, !p

Send, YourAdministratorPassword

Send, {ENTER}

denied:

Exit

So my administrator password would not be sitting in a simple text file, I used the AutoIt utility to convert the script to an executable and then hid the script on my hard drive. One could do whatever they wanted to with the script at this point for it is no longer needed.

I then set up a shortcut to the new AutoIt executable and put it on my desktop and now I can run dscaler without being logged in as administrator.

The only downside is I still have the original dscaler shortcut on my desktop, but I changed the name of it to DeletedOrDie and changed the icon. One word of caution when changing shortcut names, you must reset the shortcut key back to none, change the name, and then reset the shortcut key.

Hope this helps,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.