AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to get DScaler to play nice with my system but I keep getting stuttering. I am currently running the following hardware:

Asus A7N8X mobo

Athlon XP (190 MHz FSB, 9.5x, 1.8 GHz)

512MB DDR running synced to the FSB

Pixelview XCapture card, using the SVideo input

Even without any filters turned on just running TomsMoComp, it averages approximately 2 dropped frames per second. What I don't understand is that it is only showing the processor utilization around 15%, with no spikes up to 100%. I thought that my setup would be more than enough to run TomsMoComp and a few filters as well. Any help is thoroughly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
A few thoughts: Make sure your display is set to 60Hz. Set 'sleep interval' to 0 in the ini file (can also change this under settings but I don't remember where it is in the menu's. From there if you still have problems you might want to go down the evil road of making sure your video card and capture card are on their own interrupts but I've found that the 2 above settings have always fixed things for me.

-Trouble

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a similar set up.

Shot in the dark but does your TV Tuner have a driver installed? If so, remove it - Dscaler doesn't need it.

Obsidience

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried removing the driver and the thing still studders. I don't get it after messing around with a bunch of settings, DScaler wasn't using ANY of my processor, with all of the filters turned on and TomsMoComp. I have tried both the Svideo and the composite inputs to no avail. I would have thought that if anything, my CPU should be nailed at 100% if it is causing the video to studder.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Have you updated your motherboard to the latest BIOS and drivers from Asus' website? Those boards can sometimes be picky, and newer BIOS and drivers often solve issues like this.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Which version of Dscaler are you running ? I've had some betas not performing as well as others 4.16 seems to be quite stable though.

·
Registered
163 Posts
drkdiggler,

When you setup DScaler, did you select CPU above 1GHz & usage: DScaler alone? If not, please remove dscaler.ini and then try again.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I use 4.15 & 4.16 with my XCapture card.

I was having similar problem on my ECS mobo. 1 dropped frame / Sec. Processor always pegged @ 100 though. Changed mobo's couple day ago and now runs very clean. I'm not familiar with your setup. Maybe try swapping slots on the capture card.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Some random advice with Windows XP:

Make sure you don't have any TSRs running that you don't need. (For example, CPUCool kept trying to run a thread on mine that would tie up CPU.)

Get rid of Messenger, MSN, Indexing and any other features you don't really need. Uninstall them and then go to service to make sure you're not automatically starting any services you don't want.

Go to power settings and make sure your hard drive isn't set to spin down. You may want to set this back later but if Windows wants to swap to the drive for any reason, powering on the HD again will cause a stutter. Safer to set to "Never" until you have everything else working.

Start basic with the deinterlacer and watch your performance in task manager. Don't enable any filters until this is working and then add filters one at a time. Leave Judder Terminator for last, too.

Check to make sure you don't have any hardware IRQ conflicts. If you do, resolve them first--I disable IRQ Steering to make this a little easier for me, but I'm old fashioned like that.

The key here is this: when you run dScaler, you want it to be the only thing running and you want your capture board to never share an IRQ.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I'm with rtype on this. If the mixer for my Terratec sound card is running in the taskbar, I will get stuttering on Dscaler.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, I am still working on it, I do not believe that it has anything to do with other programs, because like I said, the CPU is never even close to being fully utilized. Something that I did notice was that when DScaler switched to any of the 3:2 pulldown modes, like "3:2 Pulldown Skip 2nd Frame" the CPU utilization would go to 100% and I wouldn't have any dropped frames. I switched Windows XP from running my machine as APCI back to standard PC, and that did change around some of my IRQs. How do I change the IRQs for devices from Windows XP?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Part of what I typed above looked a little confusing, so let me clarify; when DScaler is running in any of the deinterlace modes, it does not fully utilize the CPU (maybe 40%) and it drops about 2 frames/second, where as when it is in any of the 3:2 Pulldown modes, it fully utilizes the CPU and does not drop any frames.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Is DScaler reporting dropped frames? Like I said earlier, I get what look like dropped frames when I have Terratecs sound mixer running even though the CPU usage is low. However, DScaler reports no dropped frames. Also, on The General Hardware setup, are you giving all resources to DScaler? CPU should be 100% all the time.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, DScaler is reporting dropped frames. I changed from using the built in capture to using the direct show and now my dropped frames are around 0.8/second. Now the CPU utilization when DScaler kicks over to TomsMoComp is around 60%, the only place that it drops frames. When it is in any of the pulldown methods, it runs the CPU at 100% and I don't drop anything. Under general hardware setup, I have it setup for DScaler alone, I really don't understand why it doesn't want to use all of the processor in any of the deinterlace modes.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Normal utilization can be 40% and one small spike can cause you to drop frames or cause stuttering. Eliminating unwanted processes can prevent these kind of spikes.

My CPU is not at 100% utilization when I run only TomsMoComp. It's only when I've turned on the other filters I want and JudderTerminator that this happens.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Not when something else peaks or a HD spins up. I'm running a P4C-800 at 2.88ghz for reference.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.