AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using the latest dScaler release to watch both VHS and Cable material on my SVGA projector. I currently have a 16:9 screen, and I would like to "shrink" the full screen size of the dScaler image into the middle ot the screen. I could use the zoom on the projector, but this is not convenient. I'm willing to lose a few lines of resolution to accomplish this. I did try to use YXY, but that only seemd to work in window mode (not fullscreen). Is this possible?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Not sure exactly what you're trying to accomplish...have you tried playing with the Aspect ratio controls?

------------------

Cal Z.

Mits 65903 (65" widescreen HDTV)+ RCA DTC-100

and

Gateway Destination 27" (Princeton Arcadia based)+HTPC (Pentium II 400, 256mb, 20gb+9gb HD, Radeon LE, cybertainment tv tuner, asus dvd-rom, hercules game theater xp, Kenwood VR409 DTS receiver)

[email protected]

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me rephrase... I have a 16:9 screen, I set my HTPC/Projector to use 800x600. I then zoom the projector so that when I play a 16:9 movie on my ATI Radeon card it completely fills the width of the screen (80" wide).

When I then switch to dScaler, the 800x600 image "spills" over the border of the screen. I then have to readjust the zoom on the projector so that it fits in the screen without being to large.

What I would like to do is "shrink" the size of the dScaler window so that it fits perfectly within the screen, without adjustment. I guess I could change the resolution of the PC to something like 800x450 (16:9 aspect ratio), but I'm running into problems getting the projector to sync to that.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Just so we understand: You're zooming the projector such that it cuts off the top and bottom of your image? And you want DScaler to use the full width of your display but not the full height?

If so, you may be able to trick DScaler into doing that by using a custom target aspect ratio (you'll have to edit the CustomTargetAspect setting in the .ini file, then select "custom ratio" from the "aspect ratio of display" menu) that's taller than the normal 4:3 ratio, so it thinks it has to letterbox everything.

As for setting your PC resolution, try increasing the horizontal rather than reducing the vertical. If you're using a VGA connection, the horizontal resolution has essentially no impact on the timing of the signal so your projector should be able to sync to it.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Ok I think I understand what you mean http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif One of the mods here, Phat Phreddy tried doing similar things and gave up I believe.

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/011202.html

As you said it drops the resolution since it isn't even VGA in some ways. Since you have a 16:9 screen, I guess an interesting solution is in order. Personally, I wouldn't like to lose those 150 lines of resolution.

------------------

Cal Z.

Mits 65903 (65" widescreen HDTV)+ RCA DTC-100

and

Gateway Destination 27" (Princeton Arcadia based)+HTPC (Pentium II 400, 256mb, 20gb+9gb HD, Radeon LE, cybertainment tv tuner, asus dvd-rom, hercules game theater xp, Kenwood VR409 DTS receiver)

[email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.