Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

I've recently purchased one of Digital Connection's 1Ghz, GeForce HTPCs and I'm really enjoying its ability to scale and playback DVDs.

This has wetted my appetite and I've tried to absorb the information on this forum dealing with dScaler (and the developers' website) to help me decide whether it makes sense to use it to scale NTSC satellite programming for my 60" 4:3 HDTV. Frankly, a lot of the technical discussions go right over my head so what I'd like to do is describe my situation, and my understanding of the subject to the more experienced forum members, and hopefully get some constructive advice.

I have a first generation Mitsubishi HDTV and I'm pleased with its NTSC picture quality. I prefer to watch 4:3 NTSC programming full screen using the HDTV's internal line doubler rather than scaled to 540p and letterboxed into a 16:9 raster by my DCT100. However, I know that the Mits line doubler is not considered very good, so I thought that dScaler might provide an improvement in picture quality. I am not interested in viewing OTA broadcasts with the tuner card.

I know using dScaler entails installing a TV tuner card and running the s-video out of my DTC100 to the s-video in of the tuner card. I assume that somehow the tuner card connects to my video card and that no new connections would be required between my HTPC and HDTV. I've read that some of the picture quality issues are more related to the inexpensive tuner hardware rather than the dScaler software, and some have recommended using external tuners, i.e., VCRs along with a capture card. Since I plan on using my DCT100 satellite receiver, perhaps I should consider this approach, but I am not familiar with a suitable capture card.

I know there is a lot of discussion regarding sound quality issues, but I assume they mainly center around receiving and playing back OTA signals not satellite signals.

I assume that I would continue to receive excellent sound quality via my Dolby Digital receiver, bypassing and tuner card sound processing.

In summary, what I expect to see is a modest improvement in picture quality by trading the Mits internal line doubler for dScaler's more advanced processing. In both cases I expect to be viewing full screen 4:3 aspect ratio, 480p images. For audio I expect nothing to change.

Have I gotten this right, or have I missed any issues?

Thanks.

Larry

·
Registered
133 Posts
Depending on the horsepower of your PC, you may or may not get a better picture with dTV. But try it and let us know your results!

-Sitkom

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I think with an inexpensive TV capture card (with or without a tuner) you should be able to get excellent results with your setup.

- Tom

------------------

Getting started:
HTPC Faq , dScaler , Xcel's Links .

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I appreciate the advice.

Larry

·
Registered
564 Posts
Larry, I currently use a winTV card to upconvert

sat NTSC with the dTV software and it works wonderfully.

The card needs no connection to the vid card the info

is all carried along the motherboard. Setup is a very

easy process only takes a few minutes and your ready to

roll with a much better looking result.

Trevor

------------------

Stop 5C,HDCP And DFAST. We Killed DIVX, we'll kill this too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.