AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed Dscaler 2.3 on my htpc with a cybermail video capture card. It works but I am not satisfied with the results. I run my LD, DSS, VCR, and Cable thru the cards s-video input using a sima switch. I did not expect much from dss and cable, but I was hoping for much greater improvement in the LD picture. The picture is very soft.

There are obviously many adjustments that can be made with the dscaler program but I don't know where to start. Changing deinterlace mode seems to have little effect on picture quality. What does adjusting pixel width do? What about fooling around in the ini file? Is there a FAQ that I missed?

Brian

PIII 800

Cybermail capture card

AcessDTV card

Mits 46807 tv

Audio Authority vga-component transcoder

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Brian: the .ini documentation can be found here .

Pixel width is just the horizontal resolution that you are capturing. Normally, just set it to 720.

For LD, probably the reason that there is no difference among the deinterlacing algorithms is that DScaler does 3:2 pulldown removal. Choosing the altnernative algorithms is just for video.

As for the sharpness, you will always lose some of it. Even with plain weave, you lose about 5% of the sharpness.

Have you tried plugging in your LD directly to your projector? Have you tried removing the switch?

------------------

Dan

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dschmelzer:

As for the sharpness, you will always lose some of it. Even with plain weave, you lose about 5% of the sharpness.

Why is there a noticable loss of sharpness. This is a question that I have been pondering. I just hooked up an HTPC to a Panasonic Plasma TV (designed to double as a monitor), and my immediate reaction was that the picture was softer. Is there anything that I can do about it? I have a system that should utilize DScaler to its fullest (1Ghz PIII 256meg ram CUSL2-C mobo). I just can't seem to get a picture that is very sharp.

·
Registered
803 Posts
In my experience bob is a little fuzzy, if you look at sharp edges (like receiver osd) you find some random pixels floating around. 2Frame seems the sharpest method at all.

It is also one of the most cpu intensive.

It seems strange that you don't see a much better image with Dscaler, the first time i tried it i could not believe it. It was giant leap in quality.

Take a look at the advanced video flags, disable the second checkbox, try some combinations if you can use a test static image.

Are you feeding the projector directly and at the pj native panel resolution ?

bye

------------------

dubmaster

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I would say that I haven't experience the least bit of the WOW factor that people talk about. That is not to say that the program isn't doing a good job. Now that the Gamma filter is working for me I love the rich vivid nature of DScaler. With that said, people look at the 36XBR400 and say, "That looks sharper." This tend to irk me as the Plasma + HTPC comes in at 3x the cost.

To answer your questions:

- I plug the Video (Composite) directly into the Plasma.

and

- I plug the Video (Composite) into the HTPC and then run directly from the Radeon to the Plasma. (I am only running 640x480 and not 852x480. However, I have tried the latter and it doesn't seem to offer all that much help)

The former looks much sharper than the latter.

I will try the two-frame.

-Steve

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the dvdo iscan do anything different? Is there a WOW factor with that device?

Brian

·
Registered
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bmel:
Is there a FAQ that I missed?
You did http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif See http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/FAQ.htm

Brian ; yes, what DScaler does can be compared to the DVDO. It takes an analog signal, deinterlaces it to output a progressive scanned video feed.

The DVDO is still belived to be more stable (in terms of detection of video type) but the choice between DScaler or an external scaler is linked to other issues ;
  • what is the resolution of the display device you're using ? The DVDO won't do scaling while an htpc/DScaler will. If you've got a high res fptv, then I think the DVDO might lack the scaling feature
  • want to play or not with an htpc ? Some won't even consider this option. So yes, the DVDO is an affordable, high quality, scaling option. And guaranteed htpc-hassle free http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.