AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm afraid this topic might have been covered already, but a search through this forum didn't render anything, at least based on thread subjects.

Anyhow, I was playing with DScaler using my S-Video output from my Pioneer 515, and I managed to get quite a decent picture. It's auto-calibration feature was greatly improved in the most recent version, and it calibrates much faster. I liked what I achieved a lot, and I'm wondering if many people use this approach rather than a Software DVD Player like WinDVD, CinePlayer or others...

The reason I tried this approach is because while I didn't think I could get a better picture than using a DVD-ROM drive, I have always been plagued with compatibility problems, hangings, etc. To me, this is more unacceptable than a bit lower quality picture, since it happening during the middle of a movie with people visiting, it's simply too embarrassing, while the picture quality is something most people can't notice.

Anybody here thinks/knows that you can get just as good a decent picture using a DVD Player -> S-Video -> HTPC + DSCALER than from a good Software DVD Player? Or should I really go for fixing my Software DVD Player problems?

JoseQ

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi JoseQ,

It's been said that DScaler beats software player with video sources like live concerts, anime, etc. It is also true that software player beats DScaler with Film sources like hollywood movies. I had a/b tested it and agreed with the saying.

I am using Windows 2000 sp2 + DirectX 8.0a + Radeon VE & LE + WinDVD 2.3, 2.6.4, and now WinDVD 3.1. S/PDIF out to my Denon receiver to get clean and wonderful surround sound. For Cable TV and Video sources, DScaler is my favorite. The system has been running like a charm for more than six months and not a single blue screen witnessed.

For your information, the motherboard is Asus P3B-F loaded with a Pentium III 550 oc'ed to 733 MHz.

BTW, in movies sessions, not a single interrupt yet encountered over sixty films watched.

Daniel

·
Registered
839 Posts
Jose ; this topic is covered, and is still quite current, in the FAQ "Should I use DScaler to deinterlace the output from my set-top dvd player ?"

http://www.dscaler.org/FAQ.htm

The "however" is also current. The recent article in French "Cinema Chez Soi" shows "Austin" using a DL500 fptv along with an htpc and multiple analog sources switched by his a/v amplifier.

DScaler is the only running app all the time. Quality is here, and the ease of use is quite obvious. This is one of the key arguments in the debate "external scaler vs htpc".

Laurent Garnier, who did the autocalibration code (kudos to him ;)), is thinking more and more each day of this solution too.

Question of price too. I've dropped my STB player when I bought the Sony 1031 and plunged into the htpc. Going DScaler only today means buying another player. I don't think I'll do it. Video noise, even if very low, is sometimes what makes the difference.

And getting an good image with a capture card is quite a random process while getting a Radeon+software dvd is quite a sure shot !

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies guys... I guess I'll keep looking into the situation... I used to have a P4-1.5GHz as my HTPC but since that was also my gaming rig, and I didn't figure I'd need that much power there, I bough a Sony VAIO on an auction. It has a P3-850 CPU so it should be more than enough, that's why I get mad when I see any jittering, specially on such a clean install. There's nothing on that PC except DScaler, DVD Players and the Operating System... it's weird that it has jitterring as often as it does. The previous system never showed any problems...

I'll continue to tweak it to see if I can get to the root of the problem.

Thanks again,

JoseQ

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
You can get rid of the macrovision lines by adjusting the BTburstdelay settings in the card setting menu (Dscaler 3.0+) or .ini file for older versions. I think I used a value around 100 for my setup. There's probably some more info in the Dscaler faq under "purple line"/macrovision as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.