AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a Denon AVRX3000 receiver. Denon says it has "Direct DSD support for SACD playback over HDMI." It also says "While DSD signals are played back, “DSD DIRECT” is displayed."

The trouble is I can't seem to get "DSD Direct" displayed on the Denon and more importantly, I can't get any sound!

So I must be doing something wrong.

I have the Oppo BDP 103 player and have tried to play SACDs off of it. I set the settings on the blu ray player to all the right ones (such as forcing it to use DSD). I have the Oppo connected to the Denon through HDMI.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Which specific SACDs are you using? Are you actively selecting the 5.1 layer of the disc.

If the Denon display is not showing what you're expecting, what is it actually saying?

Also, you need to be using HDMI 2 output from the OPPO BDP-103 in order to get DSD from HDMI.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which specific SACDs are you using? Are you actively selecting the 5.1 layer of the disc.

If the Denon display is not showing what you're expecting, what is it actually saying?

Also, you need to be using HDMI 2 output from the OPPO BDP-103 in order to get DSD from HDMI.
Thanks for your response. I'm using the stereo version of SACDs because I only have two speakers and a subwoofer. And yes, I'm using HDMI 2 from the Oppo to the Denon.

It is just showing either Stereo or Direct when I press Direct on the remote.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Thanks for your response. I'm using the stereo version of SACDs because I only have two speakers and a subwoofer. And yes, I'm using HDMI 2 from the Oppo to the Denon.

It is just showing either Stereo or Direct when I press Direct on the remote.
And you're 100% sure you're playing the DSD (not CD) layer of the CD?

Also, you may try it with the TV/display turned off and see if the Denon changes to DSD DRCT.

·
Registered
22,434 Posts
The Denon has a "DSD direct" mode which simply means its decoding DSD direct to analog in the DAC. The benefit of this mode is arguable, but are you certain that the Denon is supposed to display "DSD Direct" when in that mode? It might also be referred to as "Analog Direct" in some AVRs.

The Oppo can do the same thing to its analog outputs.

The fact that your Denon has no output suggests some error in connection or setup. Perhaps this is an issue best posted in the dedicated thread for that Denon model?

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
This is my Oppo 105 playing a SACD/DSD disc via my Denon 7200WA.

DSD is shown on the top line of the display if it is being decoded correctly.

BTW Playing - Norah Jones - Come away with me

I think I remember seeing a photo with DSD Direct on the Denon display, its likely that they just re-labeled one of the inputs.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts