AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/1...endly_Card-DSD_Single_Rate_28MHz64fs_Download
lists a 1.60GB download for sale.

What do I need for DSD music files?

1. I have a BDP-S5100 Sony Blu-ray player that supports DSD files.
How do I play the download from that stand alone blu-ray player, is the 1.60GB download somehow burned onto a DVD blank? Or burned onto a Blu-ray blank?

2. My receiver's manual says "The compatible signals via the HDMI terminals are: [...] SACD (DSD 2 ch only)"
Does that mean that there are receivers out there that support more than 2 channels and my receiver is inferior when it comes to DSD playback because it "only" supports 2 channels? Does the download I linked to contain more than 2 channels?

3. I have an ATi Radeon HD 7870 video card and an Asus Xonar DX sound card, do they support DSD, do any video cards support DSD, is HDMI required for DSD?

4. There are guides on how to playback DSD from your computer but don't you need hardware to take advantage of the full quality of DSD, not just software?

Thank you for posting if you know the answers...

·
Registered
22,303 Posts
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/1...endly_Card-DSD_Single_Rate_28MHz64fs_Download
lists a 1.60GB download for sale.

What do I need for DSD music files?

1. I have a BDP-S5100 Sony Blu-ray player that supports DSD files.
How do I play the download from that stand alone blu-ray player, is the 1.60GB download somehow burned onto a DVD blank? Or burned onto a Blu-ray blank?

Assuming the BD player supports DSD files, and it has a USB port, just drop the files on a thumb drive and plug it in.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh. Of course.

That leaves the receiver, if the receiver says SACD (DSD 2 ch only) - does that mean that there will be some sort of a limitation in playing the full range output by the Blu-ray player?
Are there more that 2 channels and is multi-channel DSD a feature only found in high end receivers? Or maybe only very new receivers?

I have an actual SACD disc, are those multi channel or two channel by the way? Does the wording SACD (DSD 2 ch only) mean that SACD is multi channel but DSD is 2 channel?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Oh. Of course.

That leaves the receiver, if the receiver says SACD (DSD 2 ch only) - does that mean that there will be some sort of a limitation in playing the full range output by the Blu-ray player?
Are there more that 2 channels and is multi-channel DSD a feature only found in high end receivers? Or maybe only very new receivers?

I have an actual SACD disc, are those multi channel or two channel by the way? Does the wording SACD (DSD 2 ch only) mean that SACD is multi channel but DSD is 2 channel?
When a disc says SACD Hybrid then it plays multi channels and 2 channels.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is labeled a Hybrid. So when I use the Blu-ray player capable of playing SACD, I understand that the Blu-ray player is outputting multiple channels through HDMI out?

So then the question is what does the receiver do if the receiver manual specifically says SACD (DSD 2 ch only)? Does the receiver handle multiple channels for SACD and only two for DSD?
Would this mean that for that receiver, it would be better to get an SACD version of the album instead of the DSD version?

·
Registered
502 Posts
It is labeled a Hybrid. So when I use the Blu-ray player capable of playing SACD, I understand that the Blu-ray player is outputting multiple channels through HDMI out?

So then the question is what does the receiver do if the receiver manual specifically says SACD (DSD 2 ch only)? Does the receiver handle multiple channels for SACD and only two for DSD?
Would this mean that for that receiver, it would be better to get an SACD version of the album instead of the DSD version?
To play it in DSD 2ch only you have to connect your receiver using analog inputs to your player analog ouputs. Make sure that your volume is set to low.
Just looked at your player and you don't have analog inputs that means you will be using hdmi. You will still be able to play either SACD disk or files but it will be converted to pcm.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you are misunderstanding the questions, which are about how DSD works.

Is this example 1.60GB download 2 channel or 6 channel:

If it is 2 channel then there is no problem.
If it is 6 channel, then would I need to upgrade my receiver if its manual says SACD (DSD 2 ch only) - in other words it seems to be saying that it can only play 2 channel DSD not 6 channel DSD?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think you are misunderstanding the questions, which are about how DSD works.

Is this example 1.60GB download 2 channel or 6 channel:

If it is 2 channel then there is no problem.
If it is 6 channel, then would I need to upgrade my receiver if its manual says SACD (DSD 2 ch only) - in other words it seems to be saying that it can only play 2 channel DSD not 6 channel DSD?
2 channels

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good. Great. Thank you. So i understand that simply buying the file and transferring it to USB would allow perfect playback from the Blu-ray player's USB port.

Now the other question. My Dark Side of the Moon hybrid SACD - is it 2 channels or 6 channels?
If it is 6 channels, can my receiver handle it if its manual says SACD (DSD 2 ch only)?

And by the way. is there such thing as 6 channel DSD, do they specifically say 6 channels when you buy it otherwise it's assumed that it is 2 channels?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Good. Great. Thank you. So i understand that simply buying the file and transferring it to USB would allow perfect playback from the Blu-ray player's USB port.

Now the other question. My Dark Side of the Moon hybrid SACD - is it 2 channels or 6 channels?
If it is 6 channels, can my receiver handle it if its manual says SACD (DSD 2 ch only)?

And by the way. is there such thing as 6 channel DSD, do they specifically say 6 channels when you buy it otherwise it's assumed that it is 2 channels?
I have that disk and it plays in 5.1 and 2 channels but it will convert the dsd into pcm. Only when using analog and having a player for it will it play dsd without converting it to pcm.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a Sony BDP-S5100 blu-ray player which should qualify as a "player for it".

However the outputs on the player are a choice of two:
DIGITAL OUT (COAXIAL) jack
and
HDMI OUT jack.

Since both are digital, does that mean the player cannot be used for 6 channel SACD output.
More importantly, can the receiver itself handle 6 SACD channels if its manual says SACD (DSD 2 ch only)?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have a Sony BDP-S5100 blu-ray player which should qualify as a "player for it".

However the outputs on the player are a choice of two:
DIGITAL OUT (COAXIAL) jack
and
HDMI OUT jack.

Since both are digital, does that mean the player cannot be used for 6 channel SACD output.
More importantly, can the receiver itself handle 6 SACD channels if its manual says SACD (DSD 2 ch only)?
Only hybrid SACD's are multi channels
yes it will but like i said it will convert it from dsd to pcm or lpcm

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To have the full experience, do you need to hear it in 6 channel mode?

Since Sony Blu-ray player is not capable of analog output because both its outputs are digital, does that mean that you cannot have the full experience using it?

So how do you get 6 channels? Can it be done playing it through a computer connected to receiver somehow? I believe most Sony players capable of SACD playback only have digital outputs, so what do you need?

·
Registered
502 Posts
To have the full experience, do you need to hear it in 6 channel mode?

Since Sony Blu-ray player is not capable of analog output because both its outputs are digital, does that mean that you cannot have the full experience using it?

So how do you get 6 channels? Can it be done playing it through a computer connected to receiver somehow? I believe most Sony players capable of SACD playback only have digital outputs, so what do you need?
Just play it like a regular dvd. To have the full experience you need a player that has analog inputs to be able to play the dsd without conversion in stereo.

·
Registered
502 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This truly sucks. Just found out the hard way that despite the Sony BDP-S5100 manual saying:

"Outputs DSD signals from the HDMI OUT jack when playing a Super Audio CD."

This doesn't mean that it can play downloaded DSD files which have the .dsf extension. :( It cannot.
I do have my computer connected to the receiver so I'm off to see if Winamp can be configured to play them. I think foobar can? I suppose it doesn't matter if HDMI connection is used or S/PDIF TOSLINK?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Foobar says you need a DAC driver to play these files.
Therefore buying a DAC is mandatory?

So I suppose I would be grateful if you can just post what's the least amount of $ that needs to be invested for playing a .dsf file either from a stand alone player or through a computer connected to a receiver?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts