AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My present arrangement has DSL running over the phone lines. This requires a DSL filter at each phone jack with a phone attached to it. I'm going to be running structured wire throughout my house and have a panel in a closet for phone/data/network stuff. I would like to do the DSL filtering in this panel, so I don't have to have the individual DSL filters at each phone jack.

What are people using to do this?

TIA!

-A

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
If the DSL modem is in the phone closet, you can split the incoming line. One side goes to the DSL modem and the other side goes to the filter. The filter output goes to panel.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, the plan is to have the DSL modem in the phone closet. I've been looking around the web and haven't found any DSL filters intended to fit in these enclosures. Can anyone point me in a direction?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Just put the filter inline before the line enters the panel. Nothing special is needed.

·
Registered
386 Posts
You need to split the incoming DSL enabled line with a POTS splitter. This will take the incoming DSL line (2 wires) and and split it into a 2-wire voice line and a 2-wire DSL only line. I installed a Corning demarc box that contains the splitter, then ran a cat-5 from it to my headunit closet. A demarc box is the little plastic box that acceots the telco line in and then connects it to the wire going into your home. I just removed the telco box and tossed it and out the new one on. It works great and eliminates the need for any filters. This is the professional way to do it.

If you cant replace the telco demarc box for some reason, you could do the same thing in your headunit closet.

Do a google for Corning, dsl splitter, etc. - you'll find what you need.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The phone company is probably not going to be too happy having their NID replaced. Most importantly, however, is the fact that the Telco NID also provides primary lightning protection and associated grounding for surges that come down the phone line. You probably want to leave the Telco box alone.

What I did was simply get a different version of the Corning/Seicor DSL splitter that comes in a smaller outdoor plastic box and mount it next to the Telco NID.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Since Avale has an electronics closet, that's the obvious place for the filter to me. One penetration of the building by the incoming line and use of a DSL splitter indoors seems to me the best way to go. Examples may be found at http://www.twacomm.com/Catalog/Searc...fsel=1&kw=1474

It would be protected indoors, be out of sight, and not bother the phone company's installation. The POTS line goes in one end; the the panel and modem go on the other. It couldn't be simpler.

·
Registered
386 Posts
DrDsl-

The box I substituted for the telco box was a HUGE upgrade in quality, performance and surge and lightning suppression. It was like replacing a 1970 Pinto with a 2004 Porche Carerra 4. Frankly, I counldn't care less what the telco thinks - Im paying them a boat load every month and if they piss me off, they are gone and they know it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thanks for the links, Almighty1. That's the exact stuff I used. Because I have 3 telco lines, I had to use the add-a-line piece as well. This is a very nice setup, as I mentioned. Its all modulate and fits in the box in a snap in style.

·
Registered
108 Posts
mwcatlga,

Hey, If you know what you're doing (and obviously you do), no sweat. Replace away. Some of the older NIDS that the telcos have in place are pure crap.

I just didn't want some newbie (not you) to go replacing their NID, fail to re-connect the protection ground, and then wonder why his telephones, TIVO, DSL modem, etc. got toasted in the first lightning storm.

George

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the advice! I was actually at Home Tech today and signed up for their next local seminar class. Great guys there!

Seeing as my lines from the pole to the house are buried, I will put the DSL filter in the enclosure in my closet (make my life easy). Thanks again!

-A

·
Registered
135 Posts
Actually, DrDSL has a point. Right, the telcos suck, no big suprise there, but legally, the NID is the telcos, not the homeowners. They have legal responsibility for wiring to 6 inches past the NID (assuming you don't have the BS inside wiring maintenance). Just be careful when push comes to shove the telcos can start blaming a lot of stuff on the homeowner and the law will back them. For inexperienced folks its not a fun place to be :(.

Allen

FYI..I don't run DSL filters anywher except where the modem is. Everything works fine :).

·
Registered
386 Posts
DrDsl -

Good thought about newbies. The funny thing is I think of MYSELF as a newbie!! However, 1 year of hanging around this forum has given me an incredible amount of learnin'. You have been very helpful, BTW.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have set up my phone and DSL connections in a central location, it was really quite simple.

I ran the incoming line from the NID to a simple Radio Shack splitter - actually a 5 port phone jack. The DSL modem is plugged into one port. A DSL filter is plugged into another port, and then to the phone distribution panel. Since the input line to the panel is filtered, all outgoing lines distributed around the house are filtered too. Quite simple, and saves the hassle of phone filters everywhere.

I used a standard DSL line filter - not a special model or anything. Performance on the voice lines and DSL data line is perfect.

Phone distribution panel is an Etcon DD3 Cat 5e SOHO/Residential phone distribution block. It uses 110 punch down tool, same as data network patch panels. It's about $30, and simple as anything to connect.

The Radio Shack splitters and jacks are somewhat amateurish in my otherwise professional setup, but they serve the purpose, and are inexpensive. I have all the wires and jacks zip tied to a mounting bar on my network rack, so at least they are neatly organized.

My original connection to the phone company was a disaster, having been butchered by previous owners of my house. After I did all the new network and phone wiring inside, I called the phone company (Verizon, believe it or not) and ordered a "repair". They came out, ran a new line from the street, and put in a new NID, which is comparable to ones mentioned elsewhere in this thread. Best of all, it was FREE. The phone company actually is happy to get rid of old, botched connections.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mwcatlga
Thanks for the links, Almighty1. That's the exact stuff I used. Because I have 3 telco lines, I had to use the add-a-line piece as well. This is a very nice setup, as I mentioned. Its all modulate and fits in the box in a snap in style.
The DSL Splitter is what I have inside my apartment when PacBell still had the free professional installation. The Demarc box was what Northpoint installed at my friends place when he got MSN DSL via Northpoint but apparently, that DSL only lasted 2 months and then Northpoint went under. The DSL he has now is nothing more that two screws on bolts that comes on the other side of the garage and then the same DSL splitter. He wanted to move the Demarc box since it's a waste.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
mwcatlga,

Just a dumb question but how do you avoid shocking yourself when the terminals uses like nuts or stuff like that?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mwcatlga
I dont really understand your question, but if you mean at the demarc box, who sais I didn't shock myself!!???
I mean like you know in some places where there is no demarc box but just wires that are screwed diwn with nuts at the corner of a garage. I shocked myself last time when I tried to add a DSL filter between there and had the CAT5 connected at the same time. Gloves don't work well as you can't really hold things as you can naturally...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.