AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy a DSL modem/router/wifi hub. Centurylink is charging me $8 a month to rent theirs so I figure I can re-coup the cost in about a year.

I've looked around on Amazon and Newegg but have no idea what I should buy. Can you guys make any recommendations?

Thanks!

·
Registered
987 Posts
I need to buy a DSL modem/router/wifi hub. Centurylink is charging me $8 a month to rent theirs so I figure I can re-coup the cost in about a year.

I've looked around on Amazon and Newegg but have no idea what I should buy. Can you guys make any recommendations?

Thanks!
Your best bet is to buy a separate modem and a separate wifi router. That way you are not tied to 1 device. DSL modems are relatively inexpensive. But you want to check with CenturyLink to see what they approve. Any router will work so that isn't an issue.

As to router suggestions one of the best routers of all time is the Netgear Nighthawk R7000. It is an AC1900 device that will pretty much handle your needs for many years to come. You will find many users here on AVS and on Small Net Builder if you want reviews and comments.

I don't know your needs so this may be more then you need now. But I can assure over time it will be a purchase that makes sense.

Here is a link to the R7000 thread on AVS.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...awk-ac1900-router-review-comments-thread.html

Bob Silver
Netgear Networking Advisor

·
Registered
26 Posts
Alan P.....I recently bought a Netgear DGN3500 wireless adsl modem/router. I've been
very happy with the purchase, it has wireless b,g & n, lan 10,100,1000 & readyshare for
a usb device(which I haven't used). Performance (as far as connectivity & range) is on par
with the various Westel & Actiontec devices Verizon has supplied me with.
I was looking to upgrade from an Actiontec limited to b,g wireless & 10,100 lan. Due to
the poor feedback all these modem/routers get, I bought used on the Bay, but my unit
looked new & was in new packaging(refurb?) & came with everything but the dsl filters.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that Bob.

I skimmed the thread a bit...you sure that router isn't overkill for me? I have all of my components hard wired and only use the wi-fi for my phone and tablet with almost no media streaming, just the occasional YouTube video or similar. Heck, I just finally got a smartphone last week. :)

If you think it's worth it for me though, the price isn't really an issue.

So, do you think one of those $30 modems will be fine for me (as long as it's "CenturyLink" approved)?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Thanks for that Bob.

I skimmed the thread a bit...you sure that router isn't overkill for me? I have all of my components hard wired and only use the wi-fi for my phone and tablet with almost no media streaming, just the occasional YouTube video or similar. Heck, I just finally got a smartphone last week. :)

If you think it's worth it for me though, the price isn't really an issue.

So, do you think one of those $30 modems will be fine for me (as long as it's "CenturyLink" approved)?
As I said didn't know your needs. The R7000 isn't overkill if you will be using more wireless devices and look for greater range now or in the future. If you don't plan on that then yes it isn't needed. Its just a fantastic router that will last you for many years to come.

Regarding the modem buy what they CL approves. Because if you have an issue and you call them and you don't have an approved modem they will put it back on you. I have Verizion DSL and bought their Westell modem. Never an issue when I call as they know it.

Some other routers to look at if you don't want to go the R7000 route is Netgear WNDR4500.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...wndr4500&sprefix=netgear+wndr,electronics,169

If uses the older N standard (which is not a problem since doesn't sound like you have newer AC based devices anyway) and is very good in performance and range. Half the cost of the R7000 and Amazon has some refurbs for less then that.

But in the end I believe separating the modem from the router is always a good practice. But others may differ

Bob Silver
Netgear Networking Advisor

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again for the advice Bob!

I think I'll go with that Netgear router...but not the refurb. The Amazon reviews on the refurb are pretty horrible. ;)

·
Registered
320 Posts
I agree that the modem and router should be separate. Make SURE to get a modem that is either a modem only, most today are not. Most have a built in mini routers that need to be turned off, this is called bridge mode. So make sure the modem you buy can be set to bridge mode. Otherwise you will get dual natting that can cause all kinds of problems. I switched my neighbor last month from a Linksys to an AirPort Extreme and the AE reported dual atting taking place, he never knew it was happening, I gave him an old DSL modem in bridge mode and the problem disappeared. I used 2 Westell DSL modems that were set to bridge mode for years, they gave the best speed and reliability. I still have one DSL line as a backup. BTW, I use a Zyxel USG 100 router since I have dual WAN, ATT DSL and Comcast, and I use Apple Extremes as wifi bridges, they never have problems which is why I like them. The Zyxel is overkill for you, BTW Zyxel makes DSL modems too. You can find DSL modems on Craiglist.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts