AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I might be in the market for a new subwoofer for a music only application - in future, so no need for advise now. I have often seen mention of some subwoofers having DSP and others no DSP. Those discussions have little to no information on the pros/cons of DSP. At least I found none. Reading between the lines, it looks as if DSP mainly affords protection from blowing the subwoofer while non DSP give you more control over setting the subwoofer for different controls like dampening, although I do not know what that does.

I am wondering: 1) what are the pros/cons of DSP, 2) what Q controls and other settings some subwoofers have etc do for the sound and set-up and can you not do that for DSP subwoofers and 3) what are some examples of popular subwoofers that are and are not DSP - I think the PSA and SVS are DSP and the Hsu and Rythmik are not, is that right?

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
One thing to note is that DSP amp adds additional ~5-9ms delay (~ 5-9ft) to your MLP. It could be a big issue if you don’t have subs placement options and if you own a 2 channel pre-amp/AVR that does not have room correction.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
I might be in the market for a new subwoofer for a music only application - in future, so no need for advise now. I have often seen mention of some subwoofers having DSP and others no DSP. Those discussions have little to no information on the pros/cons of DSP. At least I found none. Reading between the lines, it looks as if DSP mainly affords protection from blowing the subwoofer while non DSP give you more control over setting the subwoofer for different controls like dampening, although I do not know what that does.

I am wondering: 1) what are the pros/cons of DSP, 2) what Q controls and other settings some subwoofers have etc do for the sound and set-up and can you not do that for DSP subwoofers and 3) what are some examples of popular subwoofers that are and are not DSP - I think the PSA and SVS are DSP and the Hsu and Rythmik are not, is that right?
I have 2 JTR's and 2 Rythmiks in my hybrid setup. I can use the Rythmiks for music because they have no delay and have no DSP. The JTR's DSP makes the bass come out too late to use. There are some complicated ways around this. If you want the best sounding, easiest to use sub for music you need to call Rythmik and speak to Enrico. I have owned many many subs in the last 4 years. Rythmik for music has no equal, period.

Greg

Reactions: audiofan1

·
Registered
634 Posts
One thing to note is that DSP amp adds additional ~5-9ms delay (~ 5-9ft) to your MLP. It could be a big issue if you don’t have subs placement options and if you own a 2 channel pre-amp/AVR that does not have room correction.

For many DSP'ed subs that may be true, higher end processors are much better than that. Our dsp system for example adds a system latency of only 0.6ms(about 8")

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
^^ That is good to know. It explains why FA is excellent and carries a higher price tags. I hope to hear a FA sub some day.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
For many DSP'ed subs that may be true, higher end processors are much better than that. Our dsp system for example adds a system latency of only 0.6ms(about 8")
Had I known this you would have sold me a couple of subs a few weeks back...dang.

Greg

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
Had I known this you would have sold me a couple of subs a few weeks back...dang.

Greg

Never too late Greg with all the subs you have ordered you owe it to yourself to listen to Funk subs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: muscles

·
Registered
3,954 Posts

Greg
With all that high end gear you own how could you not have Funk Audio subs in your system???

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
With all that high end gear you own how could you not have Funk Audio subs in your system???

I actually never really gave it much thought. It's a hard product to get information on and to even find people who have used/heard them. I looked at their output charts and they don't blow the competition away. They must sound incredible, but the price is astronomical. I am not saying I will never own them, they have just eluded my search for bass thus far. I am limited by width of subs to about 21" in my current room. I should be moving into a new house within a year, who knows what will happen then.

Greg

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Does minidsp have this problem?

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Does minidsp have this problem?
All dsp have delays, just some more than others but the lower the better IMO. Minidsp 2x4HD is about 2-3ms delay. So in that case you can fix it via your avr/prepro changing the speaker/sub distance if needed.

·
Vendor
5,949 Posts
Lots of misleading info in this thread.

Any latency from audio conversion will be cancelled out 100% during the basic system setup(distance setting in the receiver/processor).

When someone implies a DSP enabled subwoofer will have audio "delay" in your system they might as well be saying "you HAVE to keep your main speakers as close to the center of the system as physically possible! Because when you move them out a few feet you add 2-3 milliseconds of delay!"

This is how silly audio myths are born.

Tom V.
Team Power.

Reactions: checker9

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Lots of misleading info in this thread.

Any latency from audio conversion will be cancelled out 100% during the basic system setup(distance setting in the receiver/processor).

When someone implies a DSP enabled subwoofer will have audio "delay" in your system they might as well be saying "you HAVE to keep your main speakers as close to the center of the system as physically possible! Because when you move them out a few feet you add 2-3 milliseconds of delay!"

This is how silly audio myths are born.

Tom V.
Team Power.
What is misleading in this thread? Not everyone knows how to set up distance in the avr/prepro or understand delays. What about avrs/prepros without any auto room setup where you have to manually enter the distance? So what is audio myth about dsp and delays? Even if dsp had no delay at all, the subwoofer frequencies take longer to reach your ears than higher frequencies so it is delayed from that alone.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
In a 2 channel setup and I am using minidsp for both main speakers and subwoofer, the delay is no longer an issue as all the speakers will have the same delay, is this correct ?

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
In a 2 channel setup and I am using minidsp for both main speakers and subwoofer, the delay is no longer an issue as all the speakers will have the same delay, is this correct ?
This thread is really about DSP in the subwoofer's amp built in.

But to answer your question I'm not familiar with setting up minidsp for speakers, just subs only. I would imagine if you have your speakers in equal triangle and you have both mains same distance set in prepro then it should be time aligned.

·
Vendor
5,949 Posts
What is misleading in this thread? Not everyone knows how to set up distance in the avr/prepro or understand delays. What about avrs/prepros without any auto room setup where you have to manually enter the distance? So what is audio myth about dsp and delays? Even if dsp had no delay at all, the subwoofer frequencies take longer to reach your ears than higher frequencies so it is delayed from that alone.

The point is, with VERY BASIC setup considerations all of the above becomes a COMPLETE non factor. IME those spending $500-5000 on a quality DSP enabled subwoofer will take 30 seconds to ensure time alignment. It's possible with ultra cheap non dsp subs(100-200-300?) that isn't the case at all...I'm not really 100% sure. I have seen a TON of posts from guys with very "budget" oriented systems who seem to be focused on system setup too though. In any case, I have no time to argue against cheap debating advantages. If the entire premise here is these buyers aren't going to do anything except turn on the receiver it's really not my wheelhouse. I'd say 49,999 of the 50,000 or so folks I've helped over the years consider stuff like basic level and time alignment to be a given..:)

Tom V.
Team Power.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Even if dsp had no delay at all, the subwoofer frequencies take longer to reach your ears than higher frequencies so it is delayed from that alone.
Huh? The speed of sound is the speed of sound, regardless of the frequency.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
The point is, with VERY BASIC setup considerations all of the above becomes a COMPLETE non factor.

If you want to pretend any sub with DSP is going to sound "delayed" in an audio system knock yourself out. I don't have time to argue such utter nonsense. You should also be sure to jump into every speaker thread and remind every single person they must keep their main L/R speakers as close as possible(within inches!!!) to the center channel too of course. Otherwise the mains will also be delayed versus the center. I mean, your WHOLE premise here is no one is going to spend any time with basic calibrations/distance setting. If no one is bothering to set the distance(according to you)...why aren't you making dozens or hundreds of posts in each speaker thread suggesting they keep all three front speakers right next to one another?

So many here are more worried about skunking their way to some cheap debating advantage rather than helping a "newbie" out with honest answers these days. Ohw ell, knowck yourselves out. I've wasted too much time here as it is.

Tom V.
Team Power.
^^ :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts