AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an issue with my recently purchased HT1000. Hoping that some of you may experienced this and have a few suggestion. This is the second unit I have had (First returned with defect) and have found the issue on both. There is no argument on the quality of a DVD feed to this unit however I am less than impressed with the DSS feed I am providing via an S-Video connection (Sony DSS). The image is not as watchable as my older Sharpvision LCD. Stationary images look fine but movement on screen is another story. When the image (Faces for example) moves its as though the processor cannot keep up and the image appears fuzzy. Detail is lost, the face breaks up into scattered detail and then reforms once the movement stops. I have played with many of the settings to try and eliminate this but have had no success (Sweetvision, Deinterlace, etc). I was very suprised at this after reading soo many positive reviews. Understanding that the quality of the feed will have a significant impact on the quality of the image, I did not expect this with the DSS feed. I have viewed this feed with an infocus 350 and have had better image detail (the rainbow will kill you though on this business projector) Are any of you experiencing the same limitation, is this "business as usual" with this projector or could I be missing something in the setup..

4:3 selected - yes

Cheers!

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
4:3 selected on the DSS output? If yes, switch it to 16:9.

I have had good sucess with the S-Video feed on my HT1000 from multiple DVD players. I suppose I should try my Motorola 5100 cable HD tuner just to test your observation.

However, if the DSS has a 16:9 option and you have selected 4:3, that could be the problem. I noticed substandard image quality when selecting 4:3 letterbox on a DVD player feeding the HT1000. Chosing 16:9 output on the DVD player made a world of difference.

I hope you solve your problem.

RJ

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Worth trying.... I experienced the same success on the DVD setup as well. DVD sources at 16:9 are a must with the HT1000 set up the same. I was trying to feed the proj. the 4:3 from DSS to keep the format, did not think to try the 16:9 as I thought Sony added this for "future" pay per view options. I will give this a run and post my findings...

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
4,631 Posts
But if you specify 16x9 output on the DSS receiver won't it output the 4x3 as the smaller part of the 16x9 image. Does this not bypass one of the reasons to buy the HT1000? That is, the ability to watch the NTSC sports programs in the large full screen format instead of having it shrunk down to a window within the 16x9.

Jack

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would say YES "if" the HT1000 is also set to 16:9 (assuming this makes a difference) which is something I would not do for the reason you specify.. I don't think setting the DSS to 16:9 will have an impact but I will try anything at this point.

Cheers!

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JackB
But if you specify 16x9 output on the DSS receiver won't it output the 4x3 as the smaller part of the 16x9 image. Does this not bypass one of the reasons to buy the HT1000? That is, the ability to watch the NTSC sports programs in the large full screen format instead of having it shrunk down to a window within the 16x9.

Jack
If the DSS in 16:9 mode does indeed present the 4:3 programming in a smaller window, you can use the HT1000 aspect controls to ZOOM it larger.

The point being it is better for the HT1000 to be scaling and filling in any blanks, as opposed to the DSS.

Now I'm not sure what setups are offered on the DSS system mentioned or how they might handle 4:3 versus 16:9 programming. On a DVD player, I learned the 4:3 mode setting does surgery on the signal if required to fit the signal into a 4:3 space. The surgery is not pretty and not compatible with any additional processing the sage/faroudja chips will attempt.

The HT1000 offers more than one way to skin a cat, and I have learned not to be married to any preconceived notions regarding what's best to do/not do. Hopefully as times rolls on, we will find some concensus for setting up the HT1000 under various conditions. That's why I would love to see the DSS issue get resolved.

RJ

·
Premium Member
4,631 Posts
jbowers,

Here's another idea to solve your problem, but it will cost you a few bucks. Try the H3D card with a HTPC. I recently moved and sold my HTPC and Sony 1271Q with the house. I used to watch DSS using dScaler with pretty good success with only a soft image as a problem. My screen was 100" at 4x3. Since then the new owner has installed the H3D and says it is significantly better than before. He has not installed the SDI card in his DSS. When I get my HT1000 I'm going to install a H3D and probably the SDI card. I am almost certain this solution will solve your problem

Jack

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JackB,

I have to admit I am not familiar with your suggestions. Can you explain...

These are somewhat new to me and have no knowledge of the solution you are referring to...

Cheers!

·
Registered
653 Posts
jbowers/other HT1000 owners,

What size screen are you using? If 16x9, then what offset (for either the ceiling or table mount)? It was suggested a while back in another thread that you might be able to use the offset value of a 4:3 screen even though you have a 16x9 screen and use the image position feature to "move" the picture either up or down to fit into the 16x9 screen area? This would gain about 9" for us users with a 110" diag 16x9 screen and 8' ceilings.

I hope someone with an HT1000 can make a definitive answer.

And, my Dish network receivers have a 16x9 option, but do nothing (confirmed by tech support). This would be an issue if s-video feeds are poorly displayed by this pj (HTPC not an option for me at this time)?

dagger

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agreed on the DSS issue.. As for the screen, I am currently pushing a rather small image (70") but this will change soon to 100". I too was caught completely by surprise (as others I gather) by the mounting/image issues but have not had time to test the principle. I have all of the required mounting hardware but have not had the time to complete. So to date I have placed the unit on the coffee table at 7' from the screen, rise is about 2' with the unit tilted up. The image is still pristine when viewing DVD's.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I am only seeing what appears to be a type of video noise on DSS feeds to my HT-1000. I figured it was only compression artifacts from DirecTV.

Remember, upcoverted "garbage" will still look like garbage. It is much more noticeable than on my old Sharp '37U because the NEC resolves so much more detail.

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by daggerNC
jbowers/other HT1000 owners,

What size screen are you using? dagger
Here are my measurements...

-Ceiling Height = 7'4"

-Throw Distance = 11'

-4:3 Screen Diagonal = 85"

-Top of Projector Lens from Ceiling = 4.5"

-Top of Projected 4:3 screen from Ceiling = 12.5"

-Top of 1:85 movie Centered = 19.25"

-Top of 1:85 Movie Raised to the Max via Zoom Position = 12.5" or equal to top of 4:3.

-Top of 2:35 Movie = 22.75"

-Top of 2:35 Movie Raise to the Max via Zoom POsition = 16" or 3.5" short of the 4:3 mark.

So... the top offset of a 1:85 screen can be brought up to the height of a 4:3. But the 2:35 screen falls short.

I should also note these measurements were take with overscan set to 5%.

Does this help?

RJ

·
Registered
107 Posts
RJ,

How do you actually have it mounted to the ceiling? The 4.5" seems pretty close, given the measurements mentioned for the NEC mount.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DMerrill
RJ,

How do you actually have it mounted to the ceiling? The 4.5" seems pretty close, given the measurements mentioned for the NEC mount.

Thanks.
I currently have the projector setting upside down on top of a very high shelf unit. The projector is resting in a cradle I made from an extra Sonex foam panel.

I will eventually build a custom ceiling mount for the HT1000 once I decide if I will be using a wide angle lens adapter, which will also be attached to the custom mount.

The HT1000 uses standard 4mm screws for the mounting bracket holes. I forget the thread size, but it is common. The HT1000 is also small enough to build a ceiling mount system that's easy to handle fully assembled.

RJ

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.