AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DirecTivo receiver and a stand-alone tivo hooked up to an antenna and an older RCA DirecTV receiver. The DirecTivo works fine, however about once a month, the RCA receiver freezes up. That is, it shows the same picture constantly and none of the controls work. Power-cycling it is the only way out.

These events seemed to happen mostly on Monday evenings about once a month. The receiver had a relatively old card in it, so I called DirecTV and they swapped the card. Since swapping out the old card, the problem has gotten much worse. It seems to happen nightly now. :-(

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Is there a cure (that doesn't involve buying a new receiver)?

I am NOT hacking DirecTV. I am a legitimate subscriber. I don't want or need to hack DirecTV. I just want to enjoy what I'm paying for without hassles like this. :-(

·
Registered
14 Posts
We've been having the lockups at least once per night for the last 3 or 4 days...and it's already locked up twice today. In fact, we just got back from shopping for a cheap replacement receiver (no luck).

Now I'm wondering if I should continue our search for a new receiver......

Ann

·
Registered
14 Posts
We're using the RCA DRD-503 -- we've had it for several years. We also bought an RCA DRD-505 at the same time, and that died about 6 months ago.

I don't think we're using the scout feature, since I don't know what that is...if our receiver has it, we don't use it since we control the receiver through the TiVo and never look at the DSS menu.

Annie

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I can believe all these reports. Last Friday DirecTV DID begin a new round of pre-ECM activity in the data stream, with a further follow-up last night around 6:00 pm PDT. The hacker boards are rife with speculation that a major ECM is just around the corner. (The talk centers around the notion that the type of data stream activity is setting hacked cards for an especially intense and continuing "attack" which will be particularly difficult for the hackers to deal with. Too bad.) Inevitably there is some or major collateral effects to some legitimate cards. While I haven't noticed any problem with the cards in either of my receivers (Hughes E11 and RCA DTC100), those of you who have, are not imagining it. For those who are experiencing difficulties - even who've had a new card mailed and are still experiencing trouble - CALL DirecTV (again if necessary) and demand another access card.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Aargh! I'm on the phone right now with DirecTV...on hold to speak with the 3rd person. First they told me it was LNB, then my TiVo, then the signal strength (which reads at minimum 97 on all transponders)...no one wants to admit that it's a problem on their end.

Those of you without locations in your profiles, where are you located? I've been trying to convince them that several of us in different geographic locations with similar receivers.

OK - third person just shot me down, too, insisting I need to pay $60 + for a service call.

Help!

Annie

·
Registered
198 Posts
Based on the limited information posted so far, it appears to be a hardware problem with third generation ('RB' series) receivers that will become worse and eventually result in complete failure of the receiver. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that DirecTV is in any way at fault.

My DRD-502RB is working fine, as is my DRD-102RW (first generation - truly old).

CircuitCity has Hughes E-11 for $29.99 if you want an inexpensive replacement. A dual output LNB dish is only $0.01 with purchase of a receiver. Sell the LNB on Ebay for ~$20, cost of upgrade

·
Registered
14 Posts
Kevin,

That would make sense EXCEPT for the fact that all of us started experiencing the same thing at the same time...as I said in an earlier message, I had a 505RB receiver that died about 6 months ago, exhibiting very different symptoms (that is, it just died, period.)

My problem with a new receiver is that I need one with a serial port to attach to my TiVo and I can't find one in stock anywhere, and can't figure out from any online sites which receivers have the serial port.

Annie

·
Registered
198 Posts
The failure times appear to be overall random in timing and interval. If it was something DirecTV was doing there would be a distinct pattern and it would affect all receivers of like design in the same characteristic way - there would be many more complaints.

The RCA DRD-420E is the least expensive receiver with a serial port. It was $49.99 at Circuit City last week, but it is back to 99.99 now - same price as the Philips DSR-6000 DirecTV/TiVo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I, like everyone else, have had the same daily lockups the past few days on my RCA that everyone else is describing here. (And yes, I do have SCOUT turned off.) Does a replacement card from DirecTV ever help (as opposed to those who say it makes it worse)?

-Jon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, DirecTV wouldn't even give me (or sell me) a replacement card. They said they were not authorized to do so for a symptom of picture freeze. They were, however, happy to sell me a service call at $60, that they would not refund if the problem turned out to be their fault.

I wonder if this is some type of planned obsolescence on RCA's part...

Annie

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Not sure if this is relevant for those of you who've had problems arranging a replacement card swap over this recent situation, but when I've had problems in the past, I insist on speaking with someone in the technical end. The entry CSRs can be very dense. (half wonder if they're really prison contractees in "work experience" programs prior to parole?)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't be afraid to be tough on the CSR's. Tell them you want to speak to someone in subscriber retention (or what ever they call the people who's job it is to make sure you stay signed up). The DISH $9 offer is a pretty powerful weapon, even if you have no intention of using it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks all for your suggestions. Funnily enough, after I spent over an hour on the phone yesterday (making it all the way to Level II Tech Support before I threw in the towel) we have not had a problem today.

The sad thing is, I plan on getting a new DirecTivo as soon as we can get the local channels (coming soon, I hope, no date given) -- so I don't want to spend too much on a new receiver that I will only use for a short time. If it weren't for that, I'd have no problem paying for a new receiver and that would be that.

Ann

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Well this is interesting. I was bouncing around looking for just this problem. A couple of years ago I bought and installed an RCA DSS receiver for My aunt for Christmas. Up until a couple of months ago it worked perfectly, than the once in a while glitch where it would freeze up and remote be unresponsive. Unplug let it sit for a few minutes plug back in and be fine. Now it's 2 or 3 times a night. I own an older Sony that has always worked as new. I told her to call directv and see what's up but from the sound of things that will be a waste of time.

Chip S.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Have any boxes other than RCAs been affected?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.