AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Expanding my questions from another section to over here since this section seems to get more traffic.

Here are my original questions/setup...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=87878

Summary...

Elipitcal Dish

Only 2 RG6 feeds "pre"-ran to my distribution closet from the outside.

Using multi-switch that came with the dish I currently have 2 feeds ran into that closet and then just "patched" in to my bedroom rcvr, and living room DST-3000. I want to add a 3rd rcvr (maybe more down the road). I already have wires ran from the closet to various other rooms.

Running additional cables from the outside to the inside isn't an option.

Can't I just take the 2 feeds coming in from the multiswitch outside and put them into another multi-switch (reading this post : http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=22Khz+Switch makes me think yes) in my closet and then hook up additional rcvrs in my other rooms?

Only 1 rcvr (the DST3000 in the living room) needs access the HD DTV feed, if that matters.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The only practical solution is to run another coax line from the dish.

If you run four cables from two LNBs on the dish, then you could use a 5x8 switch installed inside to support up to 8 receivers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there an impractical solution? :)

I'm not 100% sure I will be able to run any more cables from the outside to the inside closet relatively easy enough w/o having to pay someone to come do it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The impractical solution is to use commercial wideband LNBs that are used for MDU installations. If you could get a MDU contractor to stop laughing and actually to the install for you, it would probably cost $1500-$2500. If they do a good job your existing elliptical dish would be replaced with a pair of 1 meter dishes and that tiny RG6 replaced with RG11.

If you can't add another cable yourself, call an electrical contractor (not a dish installer!) and have them run two more RG6 cables. With four cables from the dish you can have as many receivers as you want.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Just for a straight-forward answer and to help further clarify... there really is no other answer. You NEED to get 4 leads down to the closet. Go ahead and move the Switch while you're at it; in case you want to add a 5th IRD. It will make it much easier if the switch is already in that closet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.