AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that when receiving OTA DT signals on my DST-3000 the audio is steered to just the left and right channels when Dolby Digital is enabled. If DD is disabled, the Pro-Logic decoding is normal. This only happens with OTA DT signals; DBS signals are fine in either mode.

Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Are you basing this on the lights that you see on your receiver, or what you are hearing. Many OTA stations are using Dobly Digital 2.0, and you will onl;y see the right and left front lights on your reciever. This is actually the same as Dolby Digital's equivalent of Dolby Pro-Logic.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm basing it on what I hear coming out of the speakers. After a bit more poking around on the forums here I found some more more references to this. It does indeed appear that this is just the way the signal is being broadcast.

I wonder why, though. Did the stations have to install some basic hardware for DD 2.0 with the intention of someday upgrading to 5.1? There's certainly no advantage for the viewers in broadcasting in DD 2.0. In fact, it's a bit of a pain since I have to disable DD on the receiver and switch to Pro Logic in order to get 5 channels of information on the OTA broadcasts. On the satellite I can just leave DD enabled and forget it.

Any engineers out there know why they do it this way?

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
The DST3000 is operating normally, by delivering the 2-ch DD bitstream to the digital output. I assume you have a DD/PL A/V decoder connected to it, as this is where you are decoding the 5.1-ch DD programs. Right? If so, then your decoder should be able to receive the 2-ch DD signal, decode it, and then process it with PL. Maybe your A/V decoder doesn't automatically apply PL to 2-ch DD signals?

The DTV stations broadcast in 2-ch DD because the source soundtrack is apparently 2-ch, and the only audio system used for ATSC DTV is DD.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have only had my DST-3000 for a day, but I have noticed that two of the Atlanta OTA stations have sound heavily weighted to the left channel. Not all stations have this, so I presume it is the station's signal, not the DST-3000. Is this common? It really bugs me http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif . But, I'll live.

My surround sound processor reports a DD 2.0 and decodes it using Dolby Pro-Logic (automatically).

------------------

-Jason

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave McWilliams:
There's certainly no advantage for the viewers in broadcasting in DD 2.0. In fact, it's a bit of a pain since I have to disable DD on the receiver and switch to Pro Logic in order to get 5 channels of information on the OTA broadcasts. On the satellite I can just leave DD enabled and forget it.
This is not the case on most modern AV Receivers. Most "know" to apply DPL in the digital domain automatically. DPL II will have even better spacial results.

The DST-3000 is simply passing through the bitstream it receives, as noted above.

Tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.