AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my new 65h81 and have been playing with the different modes and such and I have found something with the OTA stations. When I am watching normal cable I get a fullscreen picture, but when I go to one of the OTA digital stations I get small black sidebars. The analog stations are fine but the digital ones have the sidebars. Is that normal or is there more setup I need to do?

I have the DST set to 16:9 and I am using the componant out on the box. The picture quality is great but I am worried about burn in and such.

Any solutions?

Thanks

-UG

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
If the digital station is broadcasting 4:3 you will get sidebars. If they are broadcasting 16:9 (including HDTV) you won't. Your Theaterwide settings on the TV won't have any effect on the 4:3 when you are using the component inputs because the TV is getting an upconverted 1080i signal from the STB and the picture "includes" the sidebars.

·
Registered
70 Posts
when watching OTA hdtv, change your setting on the dst-3000 to 4:3. then change to cropped or full and it should fill in to a 16:9 picture. very annoying, but hopefully a firmware update can make the receiver more user friendly

[This message has been edited by iwantmyhdtvnow (edited 09-26-2001).]

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
taron1 - you are correct, I meant to say if the station is broadcasting 4:3 material in a 16:9 picture you will get the sidebars....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the clarification. I am an HD newbie and trying to figure it all out. Since the black areas are part of the broadcast do I have to worry about burn in watching the digital stations for periods of time?

I watched my first HD broadcast last night...Wolf Lake (or something like that) and I must say I was stunned with the quality. Too bad all of the stations don't look like that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.