AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My setting consists of Sony Plasma 42B1 and Tosh DST3000. For local HD channel (via roof antenna)and settings for both units are 16:9 and 1080i, I've the following issues.

1) the HD channels (4-1 and 7-1) and SD channels have side bars, images are stretched vertically. Only Jay Leno show has full screen but the vert:hoz is still wrong. People seems skinny and tall

2) with same settings, the HDnet (channel 199) seems perfect.

If I change the setting on the Tosh to "4:3" and "cropped" then all the local SD and HD pictures fill the screen, with correct porportion! Is this a compatible issues or format of the source issues? Welcome your insight!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Abrita,

This confused me at first as well. I think when it indicates 16:9 on the menu, it means if you press the button, it will switch to 16:9.

If it lists 4:3 on the menu, then you press the button to get 4:3. In other words, I believe the STB is currently in the opposite mode than what is indicated.

At this moment, my menu says:

TV Resolution: 1080i

Screen Ratio: 4:3

Image Shape: Full

Jay Leno was just in full widescreen, but other digital stations have the bars on both sides. Non-digital stations have a stretched screen that loses no picture.

Perhaps others can confirm my understanding of the menu?

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
165 Posts
I use the DST3000 SD and HD outputs on my Sony Kw34hd1 (not at the same time, of course) and I haven't found a single menu setting that will show an undistorted picture in both. Try cycling the "Action" then "8" (crop/ltrbx) keys on the remote if you need to adjust picture to proper format - works for me.

JohnW

·
Registered
68 Posts
If anyone uses Pronto, I've created a set of DST3000 panels for it that has the view mode set to a hard button. Very convenient.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've tested aspect control in other sources eg. directv, cable, etc. and the aspect work as indicated. Only with roof antenna source, I've to switch aspect to "4:3" and "cropped" to fill screen and to get proportional x:y. The funny thing is, when I switch to "4:3" and "cropped", the aspect control has no affect on non digital / off the air channels. It's onerous to have to switch back and forth aspect ratio between off-the-air and satelite (inc. cable) signals.

Chi

·
Registered
524 Posts
It's confusing but the DST3000 is correct.. no bugs!!! I have a Hughes E-86 (same box)

You can't change (Xoom, Crop, etc) HDEF as it's always in FULL 16:9. That's the specification.

This is true with HDNet and OTA (HD) transmissions.

For the most parts I set mine to the following:

Resolution:

1080i HDEF (Component Output) or 480i (Composite/SVideo) Note: I use this a lot when viewing Directv or recording to VCR.

Aspect Ratio:

16:9 Widescreen HDTV.... Common!

Note: Use 4:3 if you have a 4:3 HDEF TV!

Image Shape:

Set for taste when 4:3 material is being viewed.

I use side panels or cropped for most 4:3 when using HDEF resolution.

Note: I use the TV's screen modes when the STB is set to SDEF 480i rather than the STB screen modes functions in this case.

Hope this helps... the information is in the manual..

Note: I also have both the component and SVideo connected to my RPTV as it auto switch's between component (1080i) or SVideo (480i) depending on the resolution mode my STB is set to.

Good luck

Wayne

·
Registered
181 Posts
Wayne,

Does this mean you use both your component out and Svideo out on your HD receiver?

Paul

·
Registered
524 Posts
Paul,

Yes, but there is no reason that you have to unless you record to a VCR or use the RF output. I use 480i mode as some material looks better IMHO then the 1080i so I connect both outputs and switch between them based on taste. The Hughes only uses one output at a time so my RPTV switch to the active output on that input. In this case either svideo or component.

Wayne

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.