AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DST-3000 Dolby Digital Problem?

178 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  TimM 
#1 ·
I have not noticed that problem. It must be a loose connection or equipment settings.

#2 ·
Tim,

I saw your earlier post and just now noticed something.

How are your connections set up? Are you running an optical TOSLink cable from the DST-3000 to your audio receiver? Have you checked the rca L/R outputs to see if you get sound from them? How is your receiver set?

As I posted earlier, my DST-3000 is currently set to DD out and everything sounds fine. In other posts I've seen on this forum and the DBS forum, DirecTV did have some DD issues with HBO last week that apparently have been corrected. This might be what the DirecTV CSR was referring to.

If you are not currently getting sound, then there is either something wrong/quirky in your setup or you might have a defective piece of equipment (DST-3000 or audio receiver). Again, did you run the experiment of moving your DVD player's TOSLink to the input you use for your DST and verified that that works (or vice versa)? If so, then I think there could be a problem with your DST-3000 unit.

------------------

-Jason

#3 ·
Finally, after playing around with every setting I could find I discovered that by changing the input mode to Auto(which is where I thought it was to begin with) on my Denon 5700 the sound came back on channels 504, 509, and 199 when the DST-3000 optical out was set to Dolby Digital. It must have accidentally been altered when someone was using the remote. I still don't know why the sound was cut-off even when these channels were not broadcasting in DD, or why it affected OTA digital channels (which usually do not broadcast DD). But there you are -- all it takes is one little setting change to drive you nuts.

Thanks for your help

#4 ·
I posted a note on the programming forum, but now I am not sure whether this is a DirecTV or a Toshiba problem. When the Dolby Digital optical output on my DST-3000 is set to "on", I get no sound from high definition channels such as 509 and 199, nor from OTA digital channels. I thought this was a problem with my set-top box, but I called DirecTV yesterday and they told me they recently started having problems with their Dolby Digital transmissions and this is a known problem. Anyone else experiencing this? Others have commented they are not having this problem with their boxes, so maybe it is a Toshiba/DirecTV compatability problem. I did not think it was a problem with my AV receiver since it handles DVD 5.1 fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.