AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on my third problem/issue with the DST-3000. Toshiba has promised to elevate my concerns to the top, whatever that will do. Am I alone, or has anybody else had this may problems? If so, what did Toshiba do to make you happy?

1) Unit causes radio station interference on my phone line, unable to use Internet when DST-3000 connected to phone line

2) Sound on OTA analog channels started sounding like Darth Vader. DirecTV and digital OTA channels were OK. Sent unit in, they sent me a factory rehab.

3) On factory rehab, transponders 0-4 went dead, 5-12 are extremely sub-par, 13-32 OK. I know that the problem is in the DST-3000, because everything works fine with an old RCA receiver.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have the Hughes E-86 and have had the audio problem at times. Seems better lately. If I switch channels then come back it's ok most of the time, strange..

Otherwise been good but only had it a month or less.

I have yet to figure how to contact Hughes on this model via EMail?

Guide is a tad slow but that's seems to be common with APG receivers.

Wayne

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm working on getting my third dst-3000. My first one worked for about 6 months before it lost all abiltiy to display satellite programming. I would unplug it to reset the channel guide and it would get about half way through the status bar and power itself off. The second one worked for a day and now it wont display any satellite programming. I know that it's the receiver because I pulled my handy backup RCA from the garage and used the same sat feed with nor problems. I called this morning to report the problem with this latest one and they wanted me to pay for shipping a second time to get this serviced. I balked and they said I could fax them the receipt and they would cut me a check. I hope this one works.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I too have the DST-3000, and I have the same issue with the phone line noise. I read about it being a design issue with the set. Apparently RCA boxes have a relay or isolator that keeps their boxes internally disconnected while plugged into the phone lines, but the Toshiba does not. The "fix" seems to be to buy those wireless RCA phone jacks that plug into AC outlets and use them to connect it. I did that with mine, even though I should not have had to. Luckily though my local Best Buy where I got the receiver gave them to me free of charge instead of my laying out $70 for them.

The only other issue I have really noticed, aside from the slow guide (sometimes totally un-responsive to the remote for a short period of time), is that it loses all programming data in the guide for both DirecTV channels, as well as OTA. This is a MAJOR inconvenience to resolve. I have had it occur 3 times in only about 2 months.

I have not noticed an audio problem, but when I watch TV, i only use the TV speakers, not feeding thru the receiver, so I may not notice it if it in fact occurs.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
I wonder where their upgrade is? Everyone else has upgraded the software on their boxes.

I tried the Panny box, but as good as the picture is, I can for the life of me understand how people deal with how slow it is.(even after the upgrade to 7.4).

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have had mine about a month here. Only trouble so far is the audio wne tout on the digital feed fro Chicagos WGN. This is not isolated to this receiver though. I noticed my internet connection is slow as hell since I hooked it up. The only time it needs to be hooked to a phone line is if you order a PPV right?

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I have the DST-3000 for about 3 weeks now and love it. The only problem I have experienced has been the NFL Sunday Ticket outages this past weekend.

To my understanding is that the receiver doesn't need a phone line but it is good to plug it in over night, every other week so it can call in to dtv. (so dtv wont turn off your receiver.)

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have had occasional problems with satellite connections. In the past two months it has happened twice. I pulled the card (with the unit off) and reinserted. Everything worked correctly after that. I had the same problem with an old Sony Direct TV unit. Direct TV replaced the card and it worked fine.

dL

·
Registered
28 Posts
When I connected my DST-3000 to my phone line, I had severe radio station noises interfere. I bought phone noise filter ($9) at Radio Shacks and all noises disappeared.

Two weeks ago, the NFL Sunday ticket is outages on my HD receiver, called DirectTV and they send me a new access card. Reactivated it, and NFL Sunday ticket was back last Sunday.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have had mine for over 2 months now with no problem until last night that all the channels descriptions were gone all my programs have a TBA eventhough I can see the program and the logo for the channel.

After a quick reboot walla everything back to normal.

P.S. I dont have my phone line connected because I dont order anything from DTV and my receiver has not been turn off if you are paying DTV you ahould have no problem.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You also have the option to have DTV disable the phone line for any of your receivers. I only have it turned on for one receiver and the others will not order PPV using the remote. No point in having it enabled if you are not buying PPV. Then you can just leave it unplugged.

Don

·
Registered
734 Posts
I've posted the problems I've had with my Mits SR-HD5 here several times before.

I'm currently on my third receiver since 5/30/01. The first one would periodically lose the guide data. This would require removal and re-entry of the zip codes for local area. Most of the time this would work, but it started requiring the plug to be pulled. (I found out later you can do an Action/Power instead.) Of course, you have to go back in and redo your channels each time since it adds everything back in again. During one of these episodes it would just reboot constantly once it hit nine bars on "Acquiring satellite data".

I took it back to the dealer and they sent it in for service for two weeks. It was deemed "unrepairable" and I received a brand new receiver in a sealed box. This one was DOA, couldn't receive a satellite signal at all. Took that one back the next day and got another brand new receiver.

I've had the third one for about two months now and it has been working well.

One difference: with the first receiver, I had sat, OTA and cable hooked up, with the sat and OTA diplexed together on one input and the cable on the other input. To try and keep things simpler I did not hook up the cable to this receiver, running it directly to an input on the TV instead. Maybe it's coincidence, but I have not lost the guide data yet on this receiver.

I have had noise on my phone since hooking up this receiver, which coincided with moving into a new house. I had attributed the phone noise to the wiring in the new house. I've called the phone company but they reported that there is no problem with the wiring. Now I think I'll unplug the HD5 and see if the problem goes away.

·
Registered
165 Posts
No complaint about phone noise - mine is connected so I can get Caller ID. But has anyone detected weak OTA signals? I have three OTA receivers using a single amplified OTA antenna, all connected to a Sony KW34hd1 (until I get another set). I get 4 HDTV stations 55-60 miles away. My Dish 6000 OTA module gets all 4 with signal strengths of 55-60%, good enough for consistent picture. The Sony receiver has occasional breakups, but is eminently watchable. The DST3000, on the other hand, gets signal strengths of 0 to 28 - in other words, no picture at all.

I called Tos about this - they said send it in.

Has anyone else compared OTA capabilities? Are all DST3000s this weak, or is it worth trying to get a fix?

JohnW

·
Registered
409 Posts
My 4 OTA are full at 100, I dont problems with this..

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have line of sight to the towers for our CBS and ABC affiliates, 10 miles away and am almost always at 100% for those stations. Jets usually account for any dropouts, since MAS Miramar is a few miles east of Mt. Soledad and the flight path is between me and the towers.

For NBC, I get KNBC from LA, 103 miles away on Mt. Wilson. I get a good signal, but I rarely watch Leno, so I can't really say if I get dropouts or not. My local PBS station won't be online until next Wednesday, so I also get this from LA, although this is prone to sporadic dropouts and loss of signal, but they broadcast at half the power of KNBC.

Overall, I'm pleased with the reception of the HD5, it's just that the software is so buggy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've had mine for 2 months now with NO problems whatsoever. The only thing I dont like is the kinda slow guide. Also, my unit was a really clean looking "open box". But still...no issues. Good luck to all.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Audio dropouts here but almost anything could be causing that! Will HDTV ever be ready for the average consumer? Seems like there are lots of bugs to be worked out.

·
Registered
200 Posts
sbaset,

At least you do not also have an RCA-UltimateTV PVR....

talk about slow program guides.... there is a 3 sec delay just to get the guide to pop up. Needs a Pentium 4 upgrade.

dL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.