AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been settling in with my DST-3000 since the Super Bowl (NCAA BB was GREAT, and I can't wait for the Masters this weekend). But I'm having a problem with regular DirecTV that I know is a Toshiba STB issue.

I subscribe to the MLB package (I'm a HUGE Red Sox fan transplanted to CA). These telecasts are on the local sports channels, but on game day DirecTV adds the games to locations 754-768 as well.

Today, I noticed the problem. The Red Sox vs Tampa Bay game was on ch.754. On my Sony A-55 (non-HD box), Ch. 754 along with the other MLB games being telecast today popped right in to the guide. But on my DST-3000, there were no MLB games in the guide. When I tried to manually key in ch. 754, the DST-3000 said "Channel Unavailable"! To watch the game, I had to find the local Tampa Sportschannel (ch.343 I think) and tune to that channel.

Obviously, this is a bug. My question is: is there a work-around? I guess I could add all of the local Sportschannels (30 or so) to my "favorites" list (I don't include them currently because I don't subscribe to the general sports package) but that's a pain. Plus, that won't solve the problem because in the fall the NFL ticket games will be added to the DirecTV guide but won't appear at any other location!

I was able to solve this problem earlier for the local channels by doing a "scan" but since the MLB channels only show up during "game day" will that work?

Should I call Toshiba or is that a worthless exercise? Any idea if they are due to have a software update like the DC-100 has done?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a DST-3000 and have the same problem.

I called Toshiba tech support and they couldn't help me. They barely even knew what the DST-3000 was!

I definitely agree that we need a software update, but unfortunately I haven't heard anything about one being available to us now or in the near future.

The most annoying thing about this problem is that the unit won't even try to tune in the channel when one manually keys the channel number in. It's like the unit is saying to us "Hey, I couldn't find this channel when you did the full channel scan, so it doesn't exist, and I won't even do you the favor of attempting to tune it in".

Does anyone have a different number for Toshiba tech support? I called the Toshiba Customer Solutions Center at 1-888-867-4377, and, like I've said, they were of no help.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
(trying to pop this one to the top)

Aren't there any Sports Package subscribers out there who own a Tosh/Mits/Hughes box? I have to assume that the problem occurs whether we're talking MLB, NBA, or NHL... and I KNOW there are some NFL ticket subscribers out there - let's at least get this fixed before September, because it would be a REAL bummer to miss out on football because of a stupid STB bug!

Since it appears others have confirmed that this problem exists, my questions are:

1) Does anyone know of a workaround? We know that the manual tune to a station number doesn't work. The only "kludge" I know of is to tune to the local sports station that is carrying the game (e.g., NESN for Red Sox games) but that won't work for NFL ticket since these games are added to the DirecTV channel guide each week but aren't on any other station.

2) If we need to notify Toshiba, Mits, or Hughes about this, who has had any success getting a bug report to someone who cares? As I mentioned earlier, my old Sony DSS handles this issue fine, so we're not talking brain surgery. This also means that DirecTV is not at fault, so it has to be the STB. My guess is a simple software update would fix it, but no one seems to know anything about these guys ever doing one like RCA has done?

Thanks to (hopefully) someone who can shed some light on this irritant!

SteveD

·
Registered
451 Posts
I am a subscriber to the MLB package also. I know that early in the day the channels appear in the guide for the upcoming games, but the channel is unavailable until gametime. That is a weird problem...

Since your a Sox fan like me, you might want to let DirecTV "know/think" that you moved back to Boston so you can get NESN and Fox25 to watch all the games.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
This appears to be a "shared" problem between DirecTV (that pushes the APG info) and the STB makers supporting the Advanced Programming Guide.

The problem is that DirecTV adds and removes "channels" vs. the listings on specific channels for things like special events, the pay sports packages, and (probably the most FCC worthy) adult PPV.

Most folks have the inverse problem of creeping channels that will not go away (show up even if previously unchecked), but clearly DirecTV is part of the problem & solution in how channels are added and removed.

Tim

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An update - I called Toshiba Cust. Service and at least spoke to someone who know what a DST-3000 was! She refused to say it was a "bug", but rather that the STB will only add channels to the guide that it "discovers" during a scan.

Sure enough, it works as she said. This afternoon, the Cubs and Phillies are on Ch. 754. I did a "scan" and that channel is now in the guide. Of course, it messed up some of my "checked/un-checked" channels in my favorites list, and it still didn't pop in the MLB channels that are on later today (there are a bunch more games starting at 7PM Eastern and others at 10PM eastern).

So, the key next question is: at 7PM Eastern when I do another scan, will it delete Ch 754 since the game on 754 will be over by then? As long as a channel stays in my DST-3000 guide once it is discovered once, then I guess this kludge will work for me. Next September, NFL Ticket customers should have to just do this during Week1 of the NFL and then that problem will be solved as well.

I hate these kludges, but as RudolphT said it's partly a fault of DirectTV popping channels in and out of the APG as opposed to transmitting "placeholders" so that you could do a single scan and be done with it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, this is now officially getting wierd.

After 7PM Eastern, I re-checked the guide for my DST-3000. I was surprised to find that, without doing anything else, all of the 7PM games are now in the guide! Not only that, but the NBA and NHL games are now in the guide even though I don't subscribe to those packages!

So it APPEARS that what is happening is that, now that I "rescanned", the DST-3000 now checks for all games that are part of a DirecTV sports package (or maybe all channels in the 700's???).

My assumption is that the NFL ticket games will "magically" appear in September as well. I'm happy not to have to re-scan anymore (I don't think), but does anyone but me think this behavior is wierd?

I guess we ARE early adopters, aren't we...

·
Registered
164 Posts

This thread below might give you some information as to channels not being listed and then just show up for no apparent reason.

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/013308.html

-----Original Message-----
Quote:

Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2001 10:48 PM

To: Anthony Smart

Subject: RE: Hughes E86 operating bugs with Channel List , Second

Notice [HTT2001041200000046255224]

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Hughes Technical Support with your question

regarding problems with your guide.

The problems that you are experiencing with your program guide are being

caused by DirecTV adding information to the guide. The are adding the High

Definition channels to the program guide. Being that they are adjusting

the guide your favorite lists as well as your other lists will be

effected. DirecTV is aware of the problem that this is causing and is

working on correcting it. IT should be resolved within the next few days.

Its seems that DirevTV is aware they have a problem as to all STB units. Now its a wait game.

------------------

Graphics

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST boycott JVC

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveD:
So it APPEARS that what is happening is that, now that I "rescanned", the DST-3000 now checks for all games that are part of a DirecTV sports package (or maybe all channels in the 700's???).
Steve,

In actuality you didn't even have to rescan. They would have popped up regardless (which is part of the inverse problem for folks that don't want packages they haven't subscribed to showing up).

You'll find some pops up in the 600 range and the upper 100s as well.

The real problem as you identified earlier is that you paractically have to have a game start to find out what channel it is on. Ridiculous.

Go BoSox... they actually won, against the Yankees, on Patriots Day....

Tim

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Graphics:
From Hughes

... The [sic] are adding the High

Definition channels to the program guide. Being that they are adjusting

the guide your favorite lists as well as your other lists will be

effected. DirecTV is aware of the problem that this is causing and is

working on correcting it.
Unfortunately this is not about HDTV channels, its about all "transient" Advanced Programming Guide channels, all of which are not HD. I just hope they are solving the right problem.

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,092 Posts
Just curious anyone in the Boston area getting program info on WBZ-DT 4-1.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ugh. This is getting really aggravating.

Previously I posted that I "thought" the problem was solved. But I was wrong - sure enough, the next day the MLB channels (754-768) were gone! Not in the guide, not in my channel lists. So the "re-init" of the guide only worked temporarily.

I called Toshiba back, and initially they tried to tell me that my problem was DirecTV not having my Toshiba box in their database. I knew that wasn't the problem! So the rep went to her supervisor, and came up with a new one. She said that it was possible that the Sony STB (A55 - not HDTV) that I had was "incompatible" with the Toshiba box, and that maybe the LNB was somehow not sending the data to the Toshiba.

So, get this: they want me to disconnect my Sony box, re-initialize the DST-3000 again, and leave the Sony disconnected until the following day to see if the MLB channels don't disappear.

Again, I HIGHLY doubt this is the issue, but I figured I'd humor them, and they want me to do this before they would be willing to go to the next step (which to tell you the truth I don't know what that would be!).

My questions to the forum is:

1) Does anyone else with the DST-3000 (or any Hughes box) have this problem with any of the DirecTV sports packages? If so, it would help if more people called Toshiba so that they knew this was a real problem. Their Customer Svc # is: 888-867-4377. I talked to Rita.

2) If you do, do you have another box or is it your only one? That would help eliminate their "Sony incompatibility" theory.

3) Does anyone with the Sony or Panasonic box (i.e., not Hughes but with the APG) have a DirecTV Sports package? If so, do you see this problem or not? That would help identify whether it was a Hughes or an APG/DirecTV problem.

Sorry if some of this is re-hash but this is starting to really bug me.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveD:
1) Does anyone else with the DST-3000 (or any Hughes box) have this problem with any of the DirecTV sports packages? If so, it would help if more people called Toshiba so that they knew this was a real problem. Their Customer Svc # is: 888-867-4377. I talked to Rita.
See five posts up addressed to you. This was to be expected & effects everyone until we get a software update from Hughes OR DirecTV learns to not remove and readd channels for every event.

Quote:
2) If you do, do you have another box or is it your only one? That would help eliminate their "Sony incompatibility" theory.
Quote:
In my current setup, the DST is the only one. What you were told is a bunch of bunk.

Quote:
3) Does anyone with the Sony or Panasonic box (i.e., not Hughes but with the APG) have a DirecTV Sports package? If so, do you see this problem or not? That would help identify whether it was a Hughes or an APG/DirecTV problem.
Quote:
As above it is both, but a software update would resolve it.

[This message has been edited by rudolpht (edited 04-20-2001).]

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
My experience with a Mitsubishi HD5 has been that the MLB channels are activated a very short time, actually minutes, prior to each gametime. (The same was true of the NBA channels.) This is long after they are activated on my non-HD RCA receivers.

Why this occurs is a mystery to me and to my usually astute Mitsubishi tech contact, who is consulting Hughes and DirecTv regarding the situation.

------------------

Bill Brenner

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Tim - I figured the Sony/Toshiba incompatibility issue was stupid but it's good that you've confirmed the issue with the DST alone. Have you called/e-mailed Toshiba about this?

Bill - I too noticed that, even after re-initializing my box, the stations don't go "active" until right before game time. But are you saying that with your Mits HD500 you don't have to re-init every day? In other words, it does "save" the stations in your STB's memory/channel list so? If so, that would imply that my Toshiba is acting differently.

Toshiba's customer service doesn't work weekends but I'd like to have as much info as possible when I call them back on Monday, so if others have different/same experiences pipe in!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Steve-

I have a DST-3000 and the MLB package, the NHL package and the NBA package.

I also am using a Sony SAT-T60.

I have the same problem and do plan on calling Toshiba customer service again next week. I agree. The more of us that call, the less of chance they'll ignore this problem.

And yes, the problem that I have is that the channels never appear even while the games are going on. Rescans sometimes temporarily solve the problem, but soon after the problem reappears.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Steve --

Yes, I do nothing to activate the channels.

I did one DirecTv download when the MLB free sample came on earlier in the month. I don't know if that affected the entire sports system or not. That involved pulling the plug briefly, which causes an automatic download when the plug is replaced.

------------------

Bill Brenner

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Steve --

I forgot to answer the second part of your query...if I understand it correctly. When not active, the stations do not appear in the guide; nor do they on the RCAs.

------------------

Bill Brenner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.