AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iv'e had my dst-3000 for a year. on a very rare occasion, usually for a couple of hours or so the picture would become un-watchable & un-stable due to digital blocking, locking-up, complete distortion, etc.. now its been doing it all weekend, although last night and this morning it wasn.t as bad, but its still not right. signal strength on satellite and local digital antenna is fine. ive called directv, they say it could be the receiver or an lnb, maybe the card. this is my only receiver. cable which runs directly to my mits55807 is fine. satellite dish is an oval with 3 lnb's. i,m running component cables from tv to receiver. any help would be appreciated. is it directv? lnb? receiver? card?. how do i locate & pinpoint the problem. would hate to buy a new receiver & have the same problem.

thanks, john

·
Registered
813 Posts
Could be a heat related problem. The Hughes E86, Mits HD 500 and the DST3000 are all the same box. Do a search on "heat" and either "Hughes" or "Mitsubishi" or "Toshiba" in the HDTV Hardware forum. You should find several threads filled with people having similar problems. I replaced two Hughes receivers in 5 months which failed because of heat problems. Since I have installed small fans in my entertainment cabinet 7 months ago, I have been problem free.

Ralph

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks ralph, i suppose it could be a heating problem. i went home for lunch and tried it again, regular satellite programs seemed much better, but my hd & local digital channels were still pixilating and breaking up. i'm going to try the fan, but over the weekend i tried rebooting, even left the unit unplugged for an hour or 2 and still breaking up. any other suggestions? thanks, john

·
Registered
813 Posts
Since it affects both OTA as well as DirecTV I doubt that it's the LNB or the card. Plus, your strong signals kind of reinforce that. I've read many posts about people who have improved their reception with fans after heat related issues. Unfortunately, my receivers had been damaged beyond repair and needed to be replaced. It didn't matter how many fans I put on the STB. Usually unplugging it for a few hours will help, at least temporarily, if it is being affected by heat. Since unplugging it did not help you, your machine may be too far gone. I hope that's not the case.

Ralph

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks again for the reply ralph. what you say makes a lot of sense. i'll put a fan on it later and see wht happens. i went home for lunch and tried it again, now the regular sat. stations seem almost ok, but the hd & local digital stations still no good, although better than over the weekend. i bought this unit new on ebay last oct1, 2001, do you think they would do an exchange? thanks, john

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I agree with Ralph. Virtually every problem that I have had with the DST-3000 has been cured by a cooling fan.

The only problem that is not heat related has to do with the modem picking up a radio transmission and amplifying it into my phone line (which was cured by the use of a wireless phone jack).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replys. put a fan on it last night & nothing happened, now no picture or a green looking screen & audio all screwed up. i cant believe this unit only lasted a year. does anyone think toshiba will do an exchange? i purchased this receiver oct. 2001. if not, whats the best bang for the buck regarding hd receivers? i dont think i would buy a receiver that didn't have a built in fan. thanks, john

·
Registered
813 Posts
John,

Even after two failed receivers I still like the Hughes/Toshiba/Mits HD-STB. I thought about buying a different brand after the second failure, but I couldn't afford to eat my $500 investment, and then dish out more money for something new.

My Hughes is covered under warranty for two years and I would guess that the Tosh warranty is probably similar. Most retailers state that if anything goes wrong with a satellite receiver, you must go to the manufacturer for help. They pretty much wash their hands of sat equipment after their initial refund period is up.

I would call Toshiba and find out what replacement/repair options you have. My first STB failed after five weeks from purchase. Hughes sent me to a local repair shop and they replaced the entire guts of the box, but I was without my box for more than a month. My repaired receiver failed three months later and Hughes again sent me to the repair shop. The owner stated that he had not been paid for the first repair, and he was dissolving his relationship with Hughes. So Hughes made me send the STB to San Diego and they replaced it with a refurbished one. It came back in under a week and it has worked flawlessly since April. I did have to pay for the shipping of the defective unit + insurance. So I was out of pocket for $30.

So Bottom line call Toshiba and keep us informed.

Good luck,

Ralph

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ralph, just got ff the phone with toshiba. even though i purchased this unit brand new, they will not send me a free replacement because i purchased it on e-bay and there not an authorized dealer. i can still ship to them for a repair, but i would have to pay for it. ive heard so many horror stories about factory repairs & exchanges that i'm just going to eat crow & buy a new unit(not a toshiba). any recomendations on hd receivers? the zenith seems to get alot of praise. thanks,john

·
Registered
813 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Well if you are getting a new receiver, this is the forum for it. This link will be a good start. The new Zenith HD 520 is getting some praise as is the Sony HD 200 which is also made by Zenith. Samsung has a few HD models both with and without Direct TV. Since I haven't been in the HD STB market for a while I don't know much about these new models. There are more features on today's boxes than there were a year ago. Some new boxes output both component and S-video simultaneously so you can watch in 1080i while recording in 480i. There are also boxes with firewire or DVI outputs available too. Search this forum on the manufacturer names and you should find plenty of information that will help you find out what box best suits you.

Good luck!

Ralph

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.