AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody experienced a DST-3000 which causes most channels to have a purple cast on them? It makes me want to adjust the tint on every channel.

I am watching regular DirecTV and cable (through the 1080i ports). The S-video looks a little better, but not much.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine had a greenish tint to it. Tried everything but ended up returning it. Toshiba sent a new unit UPS next day the minute they received the defective one, which did solve the problem.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
CharlesII,

I just got a Toshiba DST-3000 and i think that it looks green too. I notice it especially on B&W movies (AMC)

How did you go about getting it returned?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Having hooked up a DVD player in the past with the Pr and Pb the wrong way round (the Y was easy and it's dark back there!) and getting some weird looking colors, I second that suggestion - took me a while to track it down..

Andy

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just posted in a similar thread on the DST-3000's "darkness" - see http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/014473.html

(that thread is actually called "Hughes E-86" referring to the Hughes version of the same box).

I too feel (or should I say felt) that my DST-3000 was "greenish". But instead of returning it, I decided to get my set calibrated for grayscale with a color analyzer. Once that was done, my "greenish" tint was dramatically reduced. In fact, it seems to have basically disappeared on "good" content - that is, true HD from HBO or OTA, and even good DTV on my local CBS station for example. So you may want to consider that before returning the STB.

Which isn't to say I'm 100% satisfied - I still notice it sometimes on crappy sources (for instance, my non-HD DirecTV stations) but I am now pretty much convinced that the problem is that the DST-3000 does a really lousy job of "upconverting" 480i, and for some reason the result is often a dark and/or greenish tint. Can any "experts" out there confirm (or refute) this theory?

Of course, is it possible that I too have a bad DST-3000. I actually called Toshiba about this; they told me that I could send it back for them to "check", but considering that this problem is somewhat subjective I wouldn't be surprised if they sent it back and told me that it was the TV's fault. I don't want to go through this hassle unless I'm confident that Toshiba will confirm the problem, send me a new one, and that the problem will be fixed in the new one. And of course I don't want to be without my STB for a few weeks while Toshiba decides what to do if it's not going to fix this problem.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
SteveD,

I think there might be a problem with the DST-3000. My Mits 46807 looks perfect with a DVD player hooked to the same inputs (So i know the monitor's behaving well) But when i go back to the 3000, it just doesn't look

good. It's not aweful, but like i mentioned on dark s scenes or b&w pgms. you can definitely notice a bit of green in the blacks.

I'm gonna send mine in to be checked out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Santellavision,

I simply e-mailed them a description of the problem and they sent me the following.

"This symptom might be caused by the color quality of the signal from the broadcaster, or it could be a defect in the DST3000. We cannot determine which is the cause. If the color cannot be corrected with the TV picture adjustments, we recommend sending the DST3000 to the service station listed below. A note with your name, return address, and phone #, and a copy of the sales receipt must be included. If the unit is found to be defective, it will be repaired or exchanged.

Toshiba

2969 Armory Drive, Suite 300

Nashville, TN 37204

Customer Solutions Center"

Like I stated earlier total turnaround time was about 3 days. I certain the minute they received it they just sent me another.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Thanks CharlesII!

They just contacted me by phone and said send it off too.

So, off it goes. I think this unit has some quirks,

just like most other products on the "bleeding edge"

Peace.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Geof,

I see the 'green-ness' in the blacks of the picture. Look at the dark areas or when scenes fade out.

I'm not seeing it on the SVHS outs, just the Component outs.

B&W movies are the easiest to see it as you reduce the color on your monitor and it becomes perfect

black & white - Like the movies should look (Barring any sepia, tinting or sfx in the film)

I've checked and changed out cables, but it's still there. The monitor is clean with another source

in the same inputs, so i've narrowed it to the DST3000.

I'm sending it in next week, and i'll let you know if it's better on the fixed/new unit i get back.

·
Premium Member
5,830 Posts
I watched (briefly) an old B&W film on TCM the other day and it had a greenish cast. This is the first time I have ever noticed this. My unit has worked flawlessly on TCM (and with other B&W movies on other channels) in the past and this is a recent development. I really didn't give this much of a thought - thinking it was the broadcast....I do not think all of our units have suddenly gone bad....I'll have to see if this happens on more than just the TCM channel...

------------------

Geof

[This message has been edited by Geof (edited 06-21-2001).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.