AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toshiba DST3000 STB and a Hitachi 53SWX01, and a 30db amplified indoor antenna. These two are connected via component cables for video and an optical cable for sound. Occasionally, when tuning into a HD station, the picture comes in fine but without sound. Changing the station, and then going back, my sound is now there. I see signal locks at in the high 90s for these stations, and the picture is clear. This appears to just be a sound issue. Has anybody experienced similar issues?

Thanks,

--Mike

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sabbota:

It is more likely a problem of the station than your stb. Does it happen to multiple stations or just 1 station. We have the same problem here in NYC with NBC DT for digital sound disregard what stb you have.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have asked this question on a few different forums as well. I have talked to Toshiba (asking my grandmother would have yielded a more convincing answer) & returned the DST twice. I have the same problem. I have come to the conclusion that when passing a DD/PCM signal the different receivers some of us use may be the problem. I have a Denon 3200 & whenever turning to a HD or DD channel, I have to push the Analog/DD button on the remote to get sound. This action is somewhat frustrating when giving an HDTV demo & sales pitch to friend or family. One friend even mentioned that his $150.00 19" TV was able to give video & sound at the same time! GRRRRRRR!!!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Guys,

This has come up lots of times on the forums (fora?). Seems to happen mostly with the Denon receivers and the Hughes STB clones. I gather than when the DD bitstream is lost by switching stations or LOS in the reception, the STB sends out bad/incomplete data. On my AVR-3200, the error/overload light illuminates and I have to 'reset' the AVR by pressing the input selection button again (or analog/digital twice).

No one has ever offered another solution, other than setting the STB to output PCM except when something really important is on. Don't know whther the 'fault' is with the Denon or the STB really. Doesn't seem like a real big deal to me.

Maybe this could be corrected in a firmware download for the STB ... if Hughes ever does one. My higher priority fix would be the mess with channel scanning and mystery channels getting added to the lists.

------------------

R. Aster, scanning the forums

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I switch stations a usually miss my sound and I have to reset my sound receiver to get the sound.This happen when I switch between HDTV stations.Sometimes when when switch from a non hdtv station I get the digital sound .My connections are optical.Is it my HDTV converter DST 3000?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by R. Aster:

Seems to happen mostly with the Denon receivers and the Hughes STB clones.
This problem may lie within the Hughes/Denon combination. However there HAS TO BE something done incorrectly by whomever is sending the signal. I ONLY have this problem with WNBC-DT in New York. This problem has never occurred with CBS, FOX, ABC, WB, UPN, HBO or the DirecTV HD Demo Channel.

I disagree about this not being a big deal. I shouldn't have to watch a TV show with the remote in my hand so I can quickly change channels back and forth every 5 minutes so I can hear the show. This is a much bigger deal than the program guide, as this problem affects the actual watching of a program rather than the selection of a program from the guide.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am using the optical out to the optical input on the Hitachi TV. I just moved and my sound system isn't fully in place. I currently do not have a reciever hooked up. I have seen this behavior on all stations. I'm wondering if I should try connecting the STB via just the (L & R) audio plugs to see if I continue to see this sounds problems. Not a long term plan, just a test....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my Toshiba DST 3000 and Denon AVR 3200 AV Reciever. When I switch to a DD station the error light comes on and the audio stops. Then if I press the analog/digital button on the Denon remote twice everything is okay. Has anyone contacted Toshiba/Hughes on this issue?

Can anyone confirm if the newer Denon recievers can cope with what I assume is invalid bits sent from the DST3000?

Craig

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.