AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as I previosly posted, my DST 3000 seems to project an oversized image to my set, causing me to loose some of the picture. I sent the unit back to Toshiba, I just received a new one that is doing the same thing. I find it hard to believe that others viewing the saem issue would not notice it. Can someone else with a DST 3000 look at the upgrades and see what version your box is running at? Thanks

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
thanks for the reply, did you have a DTC 100, or any other type of HD receiver prior to this? Compared to my DTC 100, and my WinTV HD, the picture size is way off, I thought it was a defect, but now I have another box with the same issue.

·
Registered
21,798 Posts
The new Toshiba STB is picture size right on with my DISH 6000 HD receiver.

My prior DTC-100 had a picture size, with the recent software download,

that was still off compared to the Toshiba and DISH. Both the Toshiba and DISH sync with my Dwin projector and Transcanner 2 at 32.7 kHz, whereas the DTC-100 would sync at 32.6 and 32.5 kHz. That caused me the need to setup extra memories in my projector, which I no longer require with the Toshiba. YEA!

------------------

Steve Bruzonsky

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve, are you at the same version?

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
I have a TW40X81.

In HD component mode it operated correctly (had the correct overscan) with the DTC-100 UNTIL the software upgrade which set the correct timing. It is almost as if Tosh set the HD settings incorrectly to match the DTC-100. The good news is that it used to display 4:3 framed HD correctly - in other words no crop top & bottom and blow up of picture. The correct settings worked incorrectly on the transcoder timing settings.

Now when I bought the Dish 6000 it appeared both 4x3 sources & 16x9 sources in HD mode were blown up about 10%, looking like 13x9 for 4:3 sources and cropping all around on HD content. Very noticeable when doing an A/B comparison when DirecTV went to HBO HD East (a sad day).

Like Steve, I thought the Dish 6000 & DST3000 issues were about the same, i.e., bad. I do notice though that the DST has marginally less overscan and it is shifted to the right a bit.

I think the only solution is setting the HIT & WID in service mode to adjust the overscan. I have scoured the great keohi site, but there is no straightforward procedure I can decipher to adjust just the 1080i DTV mode. It would appear (lacking settings on the Dish 6000 & no service mode on the DST) that making that adjustment on the set is the only way to get complete picture back.

Any other pointers (most of the reference don't address 1080i settings) would be much appreciated.

Tim

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Also notoiced tht the picture is skewed about 2 or 3 degees from lower left up to the right. BTW "past upgrade" version is 5046 on 10:10AM Mar 3,99. No future upgrade scheduled.

Tim

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tim,

Can the set be adjusted for just one input mode? What I mean is, if I adjust the mentioned items, is that going to throw off my DVD player going in through Colorstream HD2? Or can I adjust per input? I have tried to call Toshiba on Thursday and Friday, but no one that I can get on the phone has a clue about what I am talking about ( I only could get one person on the phone that knew what a DST 3000 was). I was thinking about calling Hughes on Monday. Please update me if you get any assistance, as I will do the same.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just checked my version of my box (which I picked up last thursday) it is 5046 with "no upgrade scheduled.

Since this is my first directv box can someone tell me how the upgrades are handled? are they streamed from the sat?

brentley

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
On my set I know there are only two memories, basically 1080i HD and one for all the rest. Basically 480p (progressive) DVD falls in the non-1080i memory category, as would interlaced DVD and standard definition and non-HD sat sources.

I'm typically not all that adverse to jump into service mode type settings, but I am concerned that some settings really can mess up the set, and I don't know how the picture memories relate to the service level geometry issues.

Tim

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The upgrades on the RCA were all received via satellite. I would assume that they are all handled that way.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tim,

Why is it we are the only ones seeing this issue? I would have to assume that everyone on this forum would notice the issue I am seeing. Were you stating that you have not found the service menu for the DST, or that there is not one? I have seen the same issue on three tvs, the 34"16:9, a 36 4:3 and a 16:9 Rear Projection all with two DST-3000's.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
I remember when the Dish 6000 came out there were only a few people who noticed that too. I was hoping that they would not only have a horizontal & vertical centering, but also a way to stretch or reduce the picture dimensiuons. This never happened for Dish, can only hope now with the Tosh.

Assuming ISFing would fix, but expensive. Sure hope someone figures a way to get to into the DST and see what tricks it can do in servivce mode:

Tim

·
Registered
436 Posts
What are you using as a reference for comparing picture size?

When I was converted from Primestar to DirectTV, I found that the picture was noticeably "larger" with DirectTV, which was irritating since I had tuned my 16x9 set's stretch mode based on the CNBC stock ticker. I have since read that DirectTV intentionally "enlarges" the picture (and cuts off the sides) as part of the compression algorithm. They won a technical emmy for it too.

Maybe this is your issue?

Steve

·
Registered
21,798 Posts
Yes, I'm at that old 1999 software version, too!!! And as I have the Dwin HD-700 CRT projector, I have no problem adjusting picture size a wee bit here and there to accomodate eccentricities of any HD STB.

But I for one luv the fact that both my DISH 6000 and now Toshiba STB have exactly the same sync output and picture size - I had to have a bunch of more or less duplicative memory picture settings, one for DISH and one for the DTC-100, for HD 1080i, NTSC, etc. and I was able to eliminate that duplication.

[This message has been edited by Steve Bruzonsky (edited 02-11-2001).]

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Stephen,

I am comparing the signal from the DTC-100 and a WinTV HD to the DST 3000. I have used three tv sets, and have adjusted in the menu's everyway.

jdseymour,

I have the 4:3 image set at sidebars for now. I will probably end up setting it to cropped, but for the fact I was trying to setup and figure out my problem, I wanted to leave the picture in it's natural size.

Thanks for the posts and help!!

[This message has been edited by toshiba5 (edited 02-11-2001).]

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tim,

I noticed your comment about the problem only being in HD mode. I hooked my box up s-video today and switched to SD, it appears to give me the same issue. Through component from directv, I do not have a problem with sidebars, if I go to full in 16:9 mode, if gives me the issue as well. Maybe I mis-understood your comment, but whenever I try to go 16x9, I have the issue. it also gives me the issue during the day on digital broadcast in 4:3, but I am pretty sure the station is still broadcasting a 16x9 image, just filling the 4:3 portion.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
I tried the same thing, and you are correct. The problem is apparent on S-Video in addition to components. My concern, like Steve B however is mucking with the non-HD sources given the memory for each.

Here's the good news. With the help of http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/usefu...hiba_tips.html

I got over my semi-rational fear of going into Service mode.

My HIT parameter went from 23H to 16H

My WID parameter went from 2EH to 25H

I get some bowing (actually bulging) & I had to do a new convergence (only tried 9 point) and now 4:3 is 4:3 and I get much less HD "blow up" on 1080i component in!!! My menus on the DST3000 and Dish do not go outside the screen now, and since you mentioned checking other sources there is quite a contrast. 4:3 on the component side is really 4:3, with the whole picture, and I like that. Unfortunately station DTV upconverted 14x9 shows more bars, but at least it correctly shows how stupid that format is.

When I get a little more courage I'll do a real service menu alignment and convergance. The answer, for me anyways, appears to be not to adjust the STBs (wish I could), but to adjust the set(s).

Tim

Thanks for pushing on this question, I should have done this months ago.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tim,

Thanks for the info, I am going to try and find someone around here to do a good ISF on my set while I am sitting here taking notes. I am a little leary of going into the service mode and tweaking around. I may order the service manual and see what everything means before I go in and play around in there!! Are those two items you mentioned the only things you changed? Since this problem I have also got a contact at the only Toshiba Service Center for the STB, I will try to see if they have any info on a service mode for the STB. I will post all info I can come up with.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Those were the only two items I changed. I'm glad I took the plunge, but will probably do a 64 point convergence. Unfortunately many of the keohi tips & tweaks do not include 1080i specific input but there were complete enough for me to get through it.

Coincidentally another post on the forum discuss the same phenomenon with the DST and a Pioneer Elite set. One of the respondents there said he corrected overscan and did the 64 point convergence. Mailed him to see if he did any other settings.

Quite a bonus if you can get the conmbo into the DST 3000 service menu.

Yes, I should just do an ISF, but concerned that all techs don't have the latest on the HD settings. At this point happy I did what I did as a "hobbyist."

Best regards,

Tim

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tim,

I ordered a service manual, I will let you know if it has a good group of information when I get it. It was only $10, but then I had to pay an extra $0.08 for the supplement!! Hopefully it will be useful, I will let you know. I also got two contacts to get an ISF, I will let you know what happens with that also.

[This message has been edited by toshiba5 (edited 02-11-2001).]

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.